Supine, The fifth temperament

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Supine, The fifth temperament

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lex541 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Mark66
    Participant

Has anyone heard of the supine temperament? I was seeing a counselor several years ago because of depression and she had given me a Temperament test. I fell into supine in the three categories. I was curious if it could some how be connected with ADD. I found this info on it at: Interpersonel-compatibilityblog It’s pretty long. I shortened​ it some.

Supine Temperament: Strengths and Weaknesses

The original temperaments list was based on the 4 temperaments. However, the modern researchers stumble on the type of personality, which did not fit properly into any of the exiting temperaments.

The fifth temperament was developed and officially introduced by Drs. Richard and Phyllis Arno in 1983.

Supine – The Fifth Temperament

The Supine temperament is the quintessential model of a servant leader. They always place their own needs secondary to the good of the body. It is presented as a balanced mix between Melancholic and Sanguine temperaments, while the person may be introvert and extrovert as well.

Motivated to be useful in a larger sense, Supines are driven to serve a higher cause than their own self-interest. This can lead them to appear subservient and even indeferent when it comes to their own needs, but in the interest of their chosen causes, they can be fiercely assertive. At their best, they’re caring, gentle, dependable and loyal; at their worst they can be insecure, weak-willed, and indecisive.

Supine in Inclusion

The Supine temperament is a temperament that has many interests and cares, but little ability or need to express their needs. Being supine is like feeling as if you have tape over your mouth. They often have a wish or desire, but are unable or unwilling to express themselves. Supine people often wish that others could “read their minds.

Others may have observed that they are too sensitive or easily offended. Slow-paced and diligent,
    Supines are not indifferent or uncaring about life. Quite the opposite, they may have strong feelings but simply be unwilling to express themselves.

Supines have a view of the world that makes them consider others to be superior to themselves. They frequently employ themselves in positions that permit them to be servants to others. The will dutifully work to please others, who they see as better than themselves.

Supine does not express much need for social contact, but the need for social contact for the Supine is very great! They look like they do not want, but the fact is they want very much! They have a great need for social relationships. They effectively hide their needs and expect you to read their mind. And if you fail to correctly read their mind, they will be “hurt”.

Supine in Control

The area of Control deals with decision making, willingness to take on responsibility, and the need for independence. A Supine will always be inclined to seek out others advice when trying to make a decision. Supines feel very inadequate and consider themselves incapable of making a good decision on their own. They make seek out the counsel of several, and become quite confused if they receive differing opinions. They have such an intense need to serve others, so they often become “natural born victims.

Life is not easy for the Supine. As youngsters, they’re often tormented and abused by other children. They are typically slow to fight back. Instead they tend to internalize their anger and hurt, actually believing they deserve the treatment they receive.

Features:
    * You like to be organized.
    * You wish people would read your mind.
    * Sometimes you find it hard to speak your mind.
    * You sometimes take on more than you can do.

Supine in Affection

The area of Affection refers to the need for close, deep, personal relationships. Because of their inability or unwillingness to express their needs, most Supines fail to get their needs met. While they appear reserved and cool, the fact is they are truly in need of a lot of close, personal affection, love, and attention. Since they find it nearly impossible to actually express themselves, they simply cannot get their needs communicated. The image of a prisoner bound and gagged is not far from the truth of being a Supine in Affection.

However, if a Supine actually feels safe in a close, personal relationship, they can respond and return expressions of caring. They can become intensely loyal, producing absolute, complete faithfulness. No temperament is more prone to this kind of intense loyalty.

Features:
    * You may be emotional, crying easily.
    * You experience deep affection but find it hard to initiate.
    * You want honesty in close relationships.
    * You sense you need attention, but find it difficult to talk about.

The strengths of the Supine

* A great capacity for service, liking people, and the desire to serve others. They possess an inborn gentle spirit.
    * Dependability, ability to enforce “the policies” set by others and to serve those they follow, their caretakers, with absolute loyalty.
    * The ability to respond to love and to open up emotionally when they feel emotionally “safe.” If treated properly, they are capable of absolute and total commitment to deep personal relationships.

The weaknesses of the Supine

* Indirect behavior that expects others to read their mind, high fear of rejection, and harboring anger viewed as “hurt feelings”.

* Aggressive disorders, open dependence, defensive against loss of position, weak willpower, a tendency to feel powerless and at the mercy of others.

* The inability to initiate love and affection. They require constant reassurance that they are loved, needed and appreciated.

Sources and Additional Information:
    http://www.mindtweaks.com/wordpress/?p=883
    http://www.womenschristiantherapy.com/Supine_Temperament_Traits.pdf
    https://www.homeschool-life.com/fl/ppea/orientationfiles/File0005.PDF
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Temperaments
    http://elementaltruths.blogspot.com/2007/03/keeping-supine-happy.html

overandover
    Participant

This is very interesting. I’m unfamiliar with non-contemporary psychological models, but the ancient Greek physicians were clearly observant of behavioral patterns.

I care about everyone and everything–I’m vegan because I don’t want to harm non-human animals. I’m intensely loyal to people I care about. I would say I have a pathological need to please and serve those around me; specifically to make people better and uplift them. I also have Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria, and predict that they’re tightly coupled.

At the same time, I’m extremely resistant to stress and negative emotion. I rarely cry. I have a knack for leadership, and people around me pick up on that. I would never want to be submissive to anyone in any context.

Thus I would say I’m not supine, but do have the strong, continuous urge to please and earn the respect & gratitude of other people. Can anyone else relate?

Lex541
    Participant

I’m exactly as you wrote about a Supine/phlematic temperament and it sucks being me. It’s said that that so many wonderful things have never been shared works of art music etc sits in the mind of the Supine yet his phlematic temperament is too lazy to put it on paper. I have written so many plays songs stories get them on paper and do something else. We are the 1st officer on the ships I love being the second banana next to the captain.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.