Suicidal thoughts on Quillichew

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Suicidal thoughts on Quillichew

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

annaboucher
    Participant

My son has been on Quillichew for over a year now. We have upped his dose to 40mg daily. He has a lot of anger issues. Anything can set him off. He was looking blank in class today and the teacher asked him what was wrong and he said he wanted to hurt himself. Has anyone else had this experience. Should we switch to a non stimulant? Anyone have any luck with their kids taking non stimulants?

gmiller89
    Participant

I’m looking for help. Our son is currently attending appointments with various Dr/nurses to diagnose him with whatever it maybe. His behaviour when being faced with authority has got to a point me and mum are seriously struggling how to handle it and me personally as shameful as it is have lost my patience and I know I shouldn’t. When things is great it’s the best he’s the most loving little boy and the most careing and effectionate.

What’s escalated his mental health as in school when kids aren’t playing his game or shuddering him from their own activities he becomes very upset (he struggles to understand consequences and not knowing his boundaries). Yesterday mum gets a call from school saying he wants to kill himself as he can’t take people yelling at him. He’s so happy most days but he has no gage it’s 0 to 10 within seconds.

We’re waiting to contact Dr when the surgery is open but what I’m looking for on these forums is other parents who maybe in the similar situation for a longer period of time and might have some advice/guidance or just a chat.

Thanks

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Please see a professional ASAP, then follow-up with all of your service providers.

I average about 2 crisis safety screenings a week.

Self-harm is a sum total of coping not being able to counter-balance stress.

There is never one attributable cause.

I have very rarely seen switching a medication as an adequate answer.

When I have seen medication changes as a result of concerns of self-harm or actual attempts, it is one of numerous items on an action plan.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

We are one of the minority who saw self-harm talk when a certain medication was a bad fit. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. You son might need an amphetamine. Or he might not be able to tolerate stimulants. Or his dose of Quillichew could be too high for him.

Talk with his doctor about making a change ASAP.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.