suggestions for in-school behavior support

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers suggestions for in-school behavior support

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

dragoncita
    Participant

We live in Mexico and our son goes to a private American School. It’s the end of his 3rd grade year. They are warning us that they may kick him out if his behavior doesn’t improve in 4th grade. My question for you guys is — how should we ask for the school to support him? What do US public schools do when a kid has an IEP or whatever? This isn’t about academics but behavior. I’m looking for any suggestions I can bring to the official meeting that we’re having on Wednesday.

JBoom
    Participant

Has he been diagnosed with ADHD? Is he on a treatment plan?

Behavior problems have all kind of reasons. This site will really only be useful if ADHD is the underlying cause.

dragoncita
    Participant

Yes, I am posting on this forum because he has ADHD; I would not be posting here otherwise. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by a treatment plan. He’s been taking Ritalin LA for the past three years, we see a neurologist every three months, and we are continually looking for a good psychologist (this is difficult here). At the meeting tomorrow I would like to come up with a plan, rather than just hoping that his behavior will improve. The school has never been pro-active at all about coming up with support ideas, so I would like to have some suggestions — my question is, what do schools in the US do to support kids with ADHD and behavior problems?

JBoom
    Participant

What US schools do will depend a lot on which region and whether the school is public or private. There is no quick answer to that question. Most public schools I’ve dealt with in New York and Vermont will strongly encourage medication, and in more extreme cases put the child in special education (smaller class size, extra staff to help, IEPs). Private schools would probably do the same as yours.

dragoncita
    Participant

Okay. So, do IEPs ever include any kind of support for bad behavior? Does anyone know of any kind of support for bad behavior that a school could provide? Thanks.

JBoom
    Participant

Oh, yes. Behavior mod support is often a part of an IEP, since behavior issues are a distraction from learning. The problem is that most plans are ineffective because they use punishment/reward systems, which only work in highly controlled institutions and even then it isn’t long lasting (i.e., the “lessons” of punishment/reward are not easily internalized).

Private schools are under no obligation to deal with it (i.e., it’s easier for them to expel “problem” children). So, unless they have a particular commitment to your child, it’s on you to solve the problem. Sounds like his ADHD treatment is not working, I’d consult with your doctor about that.

Do you have behavior management strategies that work at home? Are there such issues at home in the first place?

dragoncita
    Participant

Thanks. So, does anyone know of any other behavior modification support aside from punishment/reward systems?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I always advise parents to request a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP). THe FBA considers why each behavior is happening — what’s the perceived function for the child — and then addresses those underlying reasons.

You cannot change behavior unless you work on the reason behind it. For kids with ADHD, there are so many possible reasons. A few examples are: sensory issues with the environment, expectations beyond capability, overwhelm, underlying learning disability, avoidance, poor social skills, executive functioning deficits, etc…

Your Child Isn’t Defiant — His Skills Are Lagging

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.