Success Stories

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Success Stories

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mak 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

strwbry
    Participant

Hi all!

Wasn’t sure where to address this question, so I’ll put it here. 🙂

Could we add a group for success story topics?

A lot of people come to the forum site with questions, problems, or just to vent issues relating to ADD struggles. But what I keep hearing at the end of most topics is a question of hope. Does it get better? And I think for a lot of us, it does! Judging by the comments, a lot of people have found ways to cope and thrive with their ADD, to use their strengths to their advantages or find their passion through a search for coping skills. I think it would be a really helpful resource to people who are newly diagnosed, or even just going through a tough moment, to be reminded that, as hard as it seems now, things can and will get better if you just keep going. The struggle is definitely real, but I’d love the opportunity to celebrate the things that are going right in our ADD lives! I bet it’s a lot more than we think!

Thanks for reading! 🙂

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

You got it! Post your successes here:

Success Stories

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Plastic
    Participant

Hi, I’m not sure i’m a success story. I’m not even sure I have ADHD, although I seem to score highly on all the tests for it and i’m writing this now instead of amending the document i’m supposed to be doing for work. Why, because I just thought of it!!!

I’ve always been easily distracted, impatient, loud, abrupt, argumentative and easy to anger. I get stressed quite quickly about stupid things and have a habit of catastrophising situations to the extent that I sometimes think the sky is about to fall in. Since reading this forum I identify with lots of what’s said here. I can see myself in so many of the struggles that are posted.

However, i’m now a partner in a professional services business. I’m good at lots of what I do. I’m great with people and understand complex situations, often quicker than many others. Yes, i’m disorganised and sometimes it takes me longer to do things than it should but i’m persistent and have never given up. Its this persistence that has put me where I am. I was written off by many when I was young but yet here I am. I find it difficult, particularly focusing on the mundane – of which there is allot but I always get there in the end….sometimes with a last minute panic!!

I’m also a husband and father to an amazing 4 year old girl, whom I’m beginning to think might be like me. We certainly clash but I still think she’s the best thing on the planet!

So why the reason for this post. Certainly not to brag. Just to say, the struggle goes on but there is always hope. I’ve achieved some small things. Positions that not many would have thought I would so don’t give up. Keep going, those of us with ADHD are not inferior, just different and that should be celebrated.

beckycahn
    Participant

Just 6 months ago I would have laughed hysterically if you told me my 7 year-old son would be 100% electronic free today. I never thought it possible! But, on July 2 we went cold turkey: no tv, no tablet and no phone. He earned incentives for being free and I have a new son. I have witnessed amazing changes. He talks more, he is more receptive to hugs and kisses, he has a lot fewer meltdowns, he picked up a book three times (wouldn’t read before this), and he is willing to talk to his Grandma on the phone. A wonderful success that I wish for every child with ADHD and SPD. I’m hoping the positives continue into the classroom…that will be a godsend. (Becky)

ghhorton47
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with ADHD only about 3 yrs ago. Once I discovered what I had, I was able to secure the counseling and medication that I needed to help control it. In January of 2016, I moved about 250 miles north of where I had been living for 10 years. Same state, but different everything else. Moving from a large metro area to a small city for retirement posed a few problems:

1. My medicare supplement plan changed.
    2. My new doctor’s office would NOT prescribe any behavioral medications.
    3. I couldn’t find a psychologist or psychiatrist in my new area who specialized in ADHD treatment.

Earlier this year, I finally found a local clinic that would take my medicare plan and had a psychiatrist (skyping from Virginia) that could prescribe my ADHD medication (amphetomine salts).

So as of now, I’m able to obtain the counseling and meds that I need to help control my ADHD symptoms. I think the answer to feeling better with ADD/ADHD is simply to NOT GIVE UP and have faith that you will find the help you’re looking for.

Best of luck!

Mak
    Participant

Neurofeedback changed our life. It helped my son with his anxiety, impulsivity, and emotional regulation. Most doctors we consulted told us that there is not enough evidence to back up the effects of neurofeedback but because we knew someone who had tried it successfully we gave it a try. It does not work for everyone but If your child has anxiety, you must at least try it. Usually within the first few sessions you will see a difference. It is not inexpensive but the effects have been significant (at least for us).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.