Stuck in a career rut

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Stuck in a career rut

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Boxer4ever
      Participant

I’m 27 y/o currently a returning college student who is working full time as a classroom aid for a preschool. I’m taking anatomy and chemistry. I’m considering nursing or elementary education. I dislike having to do papers or project oriented stuff for elementary route, and at same time when doing chemistry and anatomy it’s hard to push through especially once I hear how nursing is rigorous, I signed up for CNA class in spring, which is required to get in the program here

I feel stressed out since I’m only making minimum wage with a BS degree, relying on my dad for finances. I don’t know what I’m doing with these risky decisions, I don’t have adhd or career counselors in my area either. I wish my first job is what I’m doing now, and should of done a trade (at time trades to me meant dirty physical work like welding, mechanic, or electrician (no interest in mechanical things)

My adhd is primarily impulsive, attention span, and since I’ve gotten older I start relating concepts or connecting things, I get distracted by talking to people as well

Dr. Eric
      Participant

Ultimately you need to do what you are going to handle for the long haul, not just the training program.

However, for me, papers and projects seem like the lesser evil compared to the amount of memorization required for classes like anatomy.

The benefit of education careers is that the work-year cycles and you get a lot of time off to recharge.
      Some other jobs are just relentless with the stress and demands.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

YOu can work with an ADHD coach over the internet — they don’t have to be in-person meetings. A coach could really help with this.

What Is an ADHD Coach?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.