Struggling with our kindergartener

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Homework, Studying & Tests Struggling with our kindergartener

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  gregorje 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

julian.caldwell
    Participant

I don’t Remember having to understand arithmetic In kindergarten; however, they seem to be doing arithmetic every day and our six-year-old son struggling.

Do you have any suggestions, resources, books, training, prayer that might help us engage him differently? We’ve used blocks, whiteboard, cookies, you name it and we are still struggling.

Can you help would be greatly appreciated.

Julian Caldwell

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Math can be a real struggle for kids with ADHD, because planning, sequencing and working memory are often deficient. These articles offer some strategies for kids struggling with math:

Math Tricks: The Right Way to Teach Children with ADHD

How to Make Math Meaningful

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
    Participant

We had the same type of issue with reading. My son loved ABC Mouse. Or basically any tablet/computer based program. We would purchase games that were at his level, not at his grade and work from there. Leap Pad Platinum makes a lot of different types of learning games at different levels. Something about the gaming type experience really helped engage him.

bechra
    Participant

He may not be old enough for it yet, but I recommend Math-it. I used it with by 2 ADHD kids. Also, I was a 32 year old certified teacher and did not know my math facts! I was great with adding on my fingers and using tricks to add quickly. When I used the Math-it kit with my children, I finally learned my math facts! The least expensive way to get the kit is through http://www.rainbowresource.com Get the additional student pack and the guide book. It’s just as good, but you don’t get the box.

bbennettfnp
    Participant

It may not be important to him. Have you talked to the teacher about it?

gregorje
    Participant

Hello,

What does his IEP offer? Does he receive accommodations?

Does the school have an ESE counselor? That is their job to create an education plan, which
    includes help with his studies.

Do you come from a state where ADD/ADHD is a disability as opposed to an impairment? When we
    lived in NJ, this was a state that recognized ADD as a disability and the school provided individual
    tutor who would come into the classroom and assist the children.

When we moved to a state that didn’t recognize ADD as a disability, the state provides group tutoring
    classes outside of the regular classroom.

I also found that from an early age that any math that could be done electronically helped to reinforce
    math lessons all through grammar school. ADD has trouble paying attention and focusing but we found
    that handheld devices that required interaction were the most useful.

We also started using headphones
    in Kindergarten that plugged into the device which helped to keep his attention in one direction. Our
    son is now age 22 and still uses headphones in college. It’s been a saving grace. Often teachers would
    record lessons for him and he would listen through the headphones. This also helped to reinforce the
    lessons.

Consider introducing your child to a computer and various computer programs. Set up a timer when he can
    use the computer and when he has to do his homework. I had timers all over the house. It helps them
    to stay focused and paces their learning with frequent breaks.

Your child’s IEP should include any adaptations that your physician agrees will help your child. It has
    to be in writing.

My suggestion is to learn about what resources are available to your child. Speak to people who are responsible
    for ESE students. Learn what your state offers. Call the Dept of Education and ask questions. Google CHADD and
    attend a meeting. Educating yourself is the best way to help your son succeed.

Learning math early on is a good thing IMO. It sets him up for success for 1st grade. Not having confidence
    is a huge factor in ADD/ADHD so if you set him up for success early, he’ll be more confident which can only
    help him meet future challenges.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  gregorje.

julian.caldwell
    Participant

These responses have been awesome. We did AbcMouse tonight and he loved it. Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. My wife has been a trooper and I am just getting up to speed!

May God bless you all. Julian

TaurusMoon
    Participant

We will certainly keep you and your son’s journey in our prayers. He may be a bit young for this site as well, but I believe they have a kindergarten section. Khan Academy is what I am referring to! We use this as a study supplement to my son’s normal coursework and it is pretty awesome!

For sections that he has questions on that I cannot answer, the site offers a “learn the lesson” option where you can link to a YouTube video that explains the concept. You can set up a parent account and link your son’s account to it, so he can see his progress and you can as well!

Good luck!

ken_whitten2002
    Participant

I don’t remember having arithmetic in kindergarten either. I remember first grade and doing well because my parents used verbal questions “what is 2 times 3” with direct face to face. Totally adhd but I was good at basic math. I read that some delay in skills with adhd is not unusual and it won’t work until it works. Best of luck

valerie.jones
    Participant

Hi – I wanted to get more information on something that was posted here. Gregorje mentioned that:

“Do you come from a state where ADD/ADHD is a disability as opposed to an impairment? When we
    lived in NJ, this was a state that recognized ADD as a disability and the school provided individual
    tutor who would come into the classroom and assist the children.”

My questions is how do you know how a state views ADHD? Is there a resource that can pin this down. We’re looking to move to a state that has better special needs resources than our current state. We’ll move anywhere.

thanks!
    Valerie

gregorje
    Participant

Hi Valerie,

We learned that NJ was a state that viewed ADD/ADHD as a disability in our state through the Exceptional Student Education or ESE counselor at our son’s school.

I suggest you contact your ESE counselor for assistance. All schools must offer help by law; both public and private.

The ESE counselor is the one who creates the IEP or the Individual Education Program that schools must follow to help the student. My son is now 22 and we still have the IEP open even through college.

If you need additional help you can consult CHADD http://www.chadd.org/ and they have an open hot line which I have utilized successfully in the past. I am sure they can provide the information you need.

Your pediatrician is also a great source of assistance and recommendations.

We were able to get one-on-one tutoring in kindergarten and first grade. As he got older there was still an aide in the classroom for help and as he progressed, he received group tutoring.

I already raised a kindergartner with ADD and the one thing I suggest is to ask as many questions of physicians, call CHADD, get his IEP done, make sure all teachers are actually using the IEP and following instructions, show up for all IEP meetings, call the ESE counselor periodically and ask him/her to circle around with you on his progress, set up logs with the teachers with 4 or 5 behaviors your child needs to work on daily and then review the log with him every day. Reward him with a star and if he has enough stars allow him to make a decision as his award such as selecting dinner, dessert or stay up an extra half hour. There were many times I ate donuts for dinner or watched Sponge Bob for the 1,000th time because he earned the privilege to make that decision.

If you go to a CHADD conference you can meet other parents from your state and they can offer academic recommendations.

Be involved and advocate for your child. Make sure he receives all the benefits of his IEP.

Jill

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.