struggling with making decisions

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done struggling with making decisions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jrw09e
      Participant

I’m 27 years old and have been working for my dad ever since I graduated college. I never thought about a career in the way I should’ve back when I was in college because I just didn’t care, nor was it even a blip on my radar. I know now that in order for me to be successful and happy, I need to be motivated by my passion. I’m a people person and am very intuitive, but I’ve just been stuck in a rut centered around lack of motivation because I’m confused what avenue to take moving forward. I’ve been struggling with decision making all my life and it makes me crazy and I can’t seem to shake this anxiety which I know I blow out of proportion. If there’s any advice out there, I’d love to hear it. I’m located in Florida and really want to move to another city and have a fresh start, I just don’t know how or what to do with all these different “life paths” I keep over-analyzing which has cemented me in a current situation of “confusion and wanting to find a purpose for my life.”

I’m not depressed, I’d like to state. I’m just lost and nothing not even consulting is really helping and I’m just feeling more lost I guess in the game of Life than I’ve ever felt

ADHDinPGH
      Participant

I can totally relate to your feelings! Know first that most people our age will not settle into one career for the rest of our lives. With fewer and fewer companies offering full benefits and good salaries it is hard to find one place to work until retirement. And I know many successful people in their 40s, 50s, and beyond who have made several career moves in their professional life, so don’t feel like you have to decide one thing now to do forever.

I spent all of my 20s doing a modgepodge of jobs — admin work, waiting tables, customer service, etc. it wasn’t until I was 33 that I found a career path in municipal government. For me this has been a great move because I get awesome benefits, reasonable pay, and the ability to move to other offices or departments if I find a position that is a better fit for where I am in my life at that time. I get to work with people and help solve problems — two of my greatest skills.

Write down a list of things you’re good at, things you like doing, and experience you have and see if you can identify some crossover in those things that can give you an idea of jobs you may want to do. Start looking at job postings just to see what’s out there and may interest you. That will help you to identify a starting point for actually landing a job you want. Good luck!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I agree with @ADHDinPGH, sit down and make a list of the things you like doing and the environments that make you happy. Then look at where that could lead you. Maybe start by keeping your current job and volunteering in these other areas you think might suit you. Then pursue a career in the area that felt like the right spark.

Finding Joy on the Job

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

strwbry
      Participant

My advice: Take a deep breath and relax. You don’t have to have it all figured out by the time you’re 30. ADHD people tend to mature later than our peers. It’s pretty normal to not have a clear direction until later in adulthood. I am just going back to school at 32 for a career that fits my personality and ADHD traits.

Moving, leaving your support system while trying a new gig can be exciting at first, but once the newness wears off, once the loneliness sets in and it gets hard… I mean it’s great to have friends and family around to support you. Just saying. Maybe moving to a new city in the same state is a good idea. I have a lot of friends who moved from FL to Atlanta.

I love the idea of doing lists! Try writing out why you love the things you love to do. For me, the list was:
      – movement
      – flexibility
      – problem solving
      – creative
      – clear structure/deadlines
      – independence with accountability
      – challenging
      – makes a difference

I did a lot of research before choosing my current career. This website has some awesome resources. Also, don’t be afraid to visit places with the types of jobs that you’re thinking about. I spent a year checking out different places before I was sure I was ready to switch. Try an internship or volunteer in an area you might be interested in. Those are good ways to get a taste of the career to see if it fits. You may be able to tell right off the bat whether or not you could see yourself being there every day.

Also, AHDH people make great entrepreneurs when they have a good (organized) support team. It’s pretty cool that you’ve gotten to work for your dad. Maybe once you decide what direction to go your dad will have some good advice for making your career your own. 🙂

Best of luck!

Thumper 69
      Participant

I am 48 and was struggling with this bad over the past two years. I really recommend hiring a career Coach. It’s helped a few of my friends and family members. I was about to hire one when I just asked myself what kind of people would I want to work with. When I really thought about it the answer popped into my head: dogs or old people. You can make good money as a dog trainer, but there were no training schools near me. I decided to start my own Elder Companion Care business, which I could start with no capitol. A day later a recruiter called me and after 22 years at my job, got an offer with a better company and a better job. Weird how nothing changed until I started taking action. Then the change was not what I expected, but a godsend.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.