Strattera reminds me of MDMA!?!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Strattera reminds me of MDMA!?!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  POPPI 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

POPPI
    Participant

I am only three days in to my use of Strattera, and it’s been a strange three days to say the least.

I’ve been having many of the well documented symptoms – tiredness, blurred vision, nausea, loss of appetite. I just feel ‘weird’.

What has been interesting for me, as I have a stammer, is that it has made it markedly worse. I am suprised because my stammer is closely linked to my anxiety levels, and Strattera has a reputation to alievate anxiety. Family members have also noted that I seem to be ‘racing’

Most suprising though is that it has reminded me of a feeling i remember from when I used to take MDMA, I’m not euphoric, it’s the feeling I remember after the high rolls off – but before the comedown. I am not at all scientifically minded, but I wonder if this has anything to do with Strattera’s effect of Dopamine and norepinephrine?

It has been a rollercoaster – but I’m commited to sticking it out for a month to see where it takes me.

Side note – today after the Strattera kicked in, I tried doing a pilates class (I have a professional studio reformer at home) and it seems to have kind of levelled me out a bit. I suppose the physical exersion plus focus on breathing would have a positive effect. I’ll try going for a run too.

Is there any advice out there on things I can do to help mitigate some of the side effects? Activities, suppliments, foods?

Thanks!!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Straterra shouldn’t be activating and there is potential to increase anxiety instead of decrease it. Talk with your prescribing doctor about what you’re experiencing and make sure it’s a good idea to keep going for a full month.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

POPPI
    Participant

Thanks!

I will say that today things have calmed right down and I feel more like myself. I have a weekly session with my Psychiatrist so I will be sure to let him know.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.