Stimulant Medication Problem/Any Good Alternatives?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Stimulant Medication Problem/Any Good Alternatives?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mintea
      Participant

Hello, I’m a young adult who has struggled with ADHD most of her life. It’s made getting through school a helltime, and despite my best efforts I haven’t been able to finish College and or work consistently. This has left me very depressed and anxious as all I really want is to live a functional normal life. My ADHD has gotten to the point where I feel like I can’t finish things I love like movies, books, drawing etc. So I reached out to a psychiatrist to get better control of my ADHD. Also, I had issues with supraventricular tachycardia when I was young and to avoid a repeat episode I was given strattera throughout high school but it was totally ineffective at treating my ADHD. After talking it over with my new psychiatrist and my doctor it was decided since I haven’t had an issue with arrythmias in many years that they could put me on a very low dose of Ritalin (5mg twice a day) to see if that worked better than the Straterra.

On the Ritalin I felt great and had more focus and drive than I’ve felt in years. Unfortunately, about a week after taking it I started getting heart palpitations and had to stop. I knew this was a real possibility going into using it(and it was probably pretty foolish of me to get my hopes up so much), but it’s….really disheartening given how much I felt it helped me vs how little strattera did for me.

I know there are alternatives, but I really know next to nothing about them as most of the focus of treatments I’ve read are on stimulant medications. Are antidepressants that effective in treating ADHD, are there other medical alternatives besides antidepressants? Also, Does anyone take stimulant medication even though they’re predisposed to arrhythmias or have regular arrhythmias and they take it in conjunction with Antiarrhythmic meds? I know the likelihood of that one is uh pretty close to zero and I will mostly get a big resounding “what doctor would let you do that to yourself” but eh thought I might as well ask. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Mintea.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Penny Williams.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are non-stimulants like Intuniv and Kapvay, in addition to Straterra. There are also medications used off-label for ADHD, like Wellbutrin, SSRI’s, tricyclics, and mood stabilizers. Unfortunately, the only way to know if any of these will help you is to work with your doctor to try them.

There are also alternative treatments like healthy lifestyle, regular exercise, neurofeedback, and supplements.
      https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/natural-treatments/

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

DdylanCATO
      Participant

DOES non stimulants still make your brain feel wierd? (FEELING YOUR SELF THINK & being afraid to talk)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by DdylanCATO.
        Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Every ADHD medication affects each person differently. The medication that makes you feel “weird” is helping other people and not have the same side effect for them. Unfortunately, you have to try different ADHD medications and different doses until you find the sweet spot where you feel like yourself, but you’re better able to focus, etc…

“Meds Make Me Feel Weird!?”

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.