Starting work as a medical doctor

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Starting work as a medical doctor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nathalie P.
      Participant

Good evening,
      I am a medical student now starting work as a medical doctor since October. I was diagnosed while college and did well with medication and therapy in college. Now that I am constantly interrupted during work and need to concentrate I feel overwhelmed. I don’t want to increase the dosage of my ADHD meds because I didn’t feel good when my doctor increased it by accident a year ago.
      I really want to do this job but I just feel like I am not resilient enough. Do you have any recommendations for me? Maybe there are some people with similar jobs here who can give me recommendations.

Thanks for your help!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Have you considered working with an ADHD Coach? A coach can help you identify hurdles and barriers and create custom strategies to manage and work around them so you can succeed.

Can ADHD Coaching Help Job Performance?

The 7 Most Essential Benefits of ADHD Coaching

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

quietlylost
      Participant

Think back to what kinds of skills you used during undergrad or med school to help you get through things. Medical school can be very demanding and often requires quick shifting of focus and interruptions, so I’m sure you’ve had some practice that you can reflect on.

There may be accommodations you can put in place at work as well. Talk to other physicians and see how they balance their schedule and plan time to let them refocus. You may be able to schedule time between patients, use white noise, or do other things to help keep yourself organized.

Lastly, I’d suggest working with a therapist to talk about resilience and what you need to do for self care. I am a health care provider too, and it’s easy to get burnt out if you don’t take care of you. You have to be proactive about building your resilience and strength, and getting support from a therapist can be a great way to do that.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.