Starting things

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Nemuri
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a recently-diagnosed middle-age guy, and I was reading about how although stimulants can help you stay focused on a task, they don’t necessarily help with actually *starting* tasks. I feel like I’m experiencing this. Sometimes (just like in pre-medication times) I take so long to choose a thing to do, that I run out of time to do anything!
    Does this sound familiar to you, or does it just mean I’m under-medicated? If the former, do you have any tips for working around this?

BethBeads
    Participant

Also doesnt help me focus.

Really helps emotional regulation

ADHDinPGH
    Participant

In the 20 years since my diagnosis I have tried just about every adhd drug except concerta/Ritalin and I can tell you one thing: every medication affects everyone differently, even at different times in our lives. This is in part because other things besides meds have an impact on our neurotransmitters, like exercise, stress, protein intake, etc.

Unfortunately, finding the right medication or combination of medications is trial and error. And medication is not a cure-all for adhd symptoms. You may do better to think of it as a step ladder to help you reach and use the other tools in your adhd toolkit.

There’s a great YouTube video from How To ADHD called “Climbing the Wall of Awful” that you might find really helpful. It talks about *why* it’s so hard to get started sometimes (hint:overwhelm!) but also how to get past the wall and actually get started.

For me, if it’s overwhelm from too many tasks, I just pick one thing and dive in, even if it isn’t really the “beginning” of the task. Just anything to get started is better than mulling over what to start on and how.

Good luck on your medication journey and remember that it can be a long time til you find what works, but that doesn’t mean nothing will or that all meds are bad!

Badger
    Participant

I’m 57. I have tasks that have been on my list for years!!!
    A tip that I picked up when I realised I couldn’t get started was to choose the three tasks that were the most important but you didn’t really want to do and then don’t do any others that week until you completed them. This has really helped me get the boring tasks done.
    I also find that some meds for me allow for better quality sleep. Vyvanse was great for me at first but then I found that I was actually hyper focussing as I wasn’t getting any deep sleep so it affected my cortisol levels.
    As the previous poster says everyone is different. Good luck

Nemuri
      Participant

OMG the How to ADHD channel is amazing — So many of these videos/topics resonated with me!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Struggling with task initiation is part of weak executive functioning, which is extremely common with ADHD.

7 Executive Function Deficits Tied to ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.