Started methylphenidate er today

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Started methylphenidate er today

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gem1977
      Participant

Hi-
      New here. We started our 8 year old on “concerta” today. His dr wrote the scrip for methylphenidate er, and the medication bottle says Actavis on it. I’m not sure if it makes a difference .

Anyhow, I noticed a change right away. Is that even possible or am I being too optimistic? Lol. It took a long time for him to get the medication down because he was afraid of choking. But eventually he did. After about 40 minutes I noticed that he just…looked calm. He wasn’t fidgeting. He was fully seated in his chair, not perched at the edge- calmly reading his book and eating a snack. Not flipping pages, pushing the chair back, eating neatly and noticing when he had milk on his face. He was able to get a book at the bookstore from start to finish. He went straight to the book, to the register, paid and back to me. No side trips. No looking at other things along the way, ect. He was listening to requests right away. We went out for dinner and again fully seated, manners, no arguing no meltdown over the meal/texture.

Can it really work that fast? I’m so hopeful that it will keep up, if that’s the case. Or am I just overthinking? He said he felt calm. He watched a whole movie without getting up once. Thos is 18mg dose. His dr said she thinks he’ll need 27mg after the initial trial run to be at optimum, but alsoif 18 is working she will keep it there.

Thanks.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Yes, stimulant medications are immediate. They work when they’re in your system and have no effect when they’re not. It will take a few days for your child to acclimate to their brain working somewhat differently, so you may see a few more changes or shifts. Sounds like a great start though.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.