Started daughter on Adderall- Need advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Started daughter on Adderall- Need advice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Whitney8809
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

We started my 6yo old daughter on Adderall XR. She is a very hyper child who struggles with impulsivity and trouble regulating her emotions. In the school setting we cannot control ourselves, we constantly interrupt and it affects us socially. We started at the 10mg and noticed signs of decreased appetite, agitation when coming off of the medication and difficulty sleeping. Her pupils get quite large when medicated. School noticed she was a bit calmer, but VERY talkative. She is much more talkative and driven by a motor as far as talking goes while on this medication. She honestly cannot stop! Upon follow-up with her pediatrician it was recommended to increase to 20mg. We did this on Saturday so we could monitor at home. She was equally talkative but became very OCD with organizing items. We had to re-arrange presents under the tree, sort he sister toys by size, sort stuffies by size. Honestly the only time we ever saw the slightest OCD was when she was a toddler she liked to line up her toy horses, but at that time it was age appropriate and the behavior stopped. The 20mg caused more problems with her sleep. We were very rude and emotional and she even told us that maybe it would have been better if she wasn’t born. Obviously this medication is not right for her. It was decided by her Dr. to back down to 10mg and get an eval with neuropshyc. I guess the doctor doesn’t feel comfortable treating her for ADHD now since the meds showed OCD and wants a further eval.

Now I understand that more info is good, but I felt like maybe the meds were causing her to think more and she organized the items because she wanted to not because something bad would happen etc. I mean if I am stressed, I clean or organize items. Couldn’t this be like that. Shouldn’t we just be able to try another med?? I am just at a loss on where to go from here.

Thank you.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Whitney8809.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Adderall is certainly not the only ADHD medication. If the side effects are troublesome and impeding life, it’s probably time to try a different ADHD medication.

There are two types of stimulants for ADHD: amphetamine (Vyvanse, Adderall…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta…). The majority of individuals do well on one or the other, but not both. This article provides lots of details on this:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

So, yes, she should be able to try another medication. However, the doctor is right that a thorough evaluation and ADHD expert insights will be extremely helpful. You really should get ADHD medication managed by an expert in the field and not a pediatrician.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Whitney8809
        Participant

Neuro testing in my area are 4-6 weeks out. One of my questions is, why do you think the pedi wanted to stop and get a neuro eval?

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Likely because he or she realized the medication wasn’t a good fit for your child, and that he or she is outside their expertise.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

While my son’s ADHD medication is prescribed through the ped’s office, that is only because I feel more comfortable with one doctor prescribing any and all medications for my son due to his unique medical needs because of his physical and mental needs. Little background, my son was in and out of doctors offices and hospitals since infancy, so he has always had multiple doctors. I prefer one central doctor to be the “go-to” for everything, to know everything that is going on with him. However, at the beginning of our ADHD journey, even though my son’s doctor is pretty well versed in the different types of ADHD medications he was unwilling and unable to prescribe any ADD/ADHD medication without an official diagnosis. Which I completely understood.

My son had a neuro done when he was 5, and I found it very insightful. In fact, I still sometimes refer to it. At least in ours there was entire sections that gave me pointers to help me navigate certain situations. Later on we had a Conners Assessment done which specifically addressed the ADHD. So while the ped may write the prescription, he does so based on the recommendation of the reports of the ADHD experts. ADHD really becomes a team effort between counselors, teachers, parents and doctors.

Whitney8809
        Participant

Whitney8809

Participant

Pump2Duncan

A teacher friend told me she wouldn’t recommend Neuro testing because it could label her and she could be label for life. Not referring to ADHD. Ie” Autism etc, but I do not believe she is on the spectrum. Since taking her off the Adderall- She is much easier to manage. Yes still extremely hyper but no excessive talking, no OCD, normal sleeping and eating etc. Can you provide info on what to expect with neuro testing?

Whitney8809
      Participant

Pump2Duncan

A teacher friend told me she wouldn’t recommend Neuro testing because it could label her and she could be label for life. Not referring to ADHD. Ie” Autism etc, but I do not believe she is on the spectrum. Since taking her off the Adderall- She is much easier to manage. Yes still extremely hyper but no excessive talking, no OCD, normal sleeping and eating etc. Can you provide info on what to expect with neuro testing?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Whitney8809.
        Pump2Duncan
        Participant

For our Neuro, his teacher filled out a questionnaire. I filled out several questionaires and medical history information reports. There was an observation period of my son and a variety of psychological tests (he was 5 so they included the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence – Third Edition; Selected subtests from NEPSY-Section Edition; Bracken School Readiness Assessment and Behavior Assessment System for Children).

There was a meeting that took about an hour with me, another meeting that took about an hour with my son and then a final meeting that took about an hour to go over the report. My son thought it was fun and had no idea that he was being tested.

These tests showed his IQ, his Adaptive behavior, his sensory profile and other things. ADHD was listed as a Diagnostic Impression (as well as a few other things).

I find it odd that any teacher would recommend a child NOT get tested since early interventions are key to later successes. I encourage you to follow up with the testing. Since mental health records are highly confidential, I do not see how this information could “label” her unless you share the information with others after receiving the report.

Whitney8809
        Participant

Thank you. I was not in agreement with that person because I thought more information the better. I wasn’t sure though if there was a diagnosis that the diagnosis somehow is reported back to the school. Granted the school already knew we were being treated for ADHD. My daughter is very bright. She does great academically, but her impulsivity and hyperness effects her socially. She is quite the perfectionist, but that has come a long way. I guess I was concerned how the doctor immediately said we need further testing that makes me nervous there is more to this than just ADHD but I don’t see it. Thank you for your help

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s the scoop on all the testing possible in a neuropsychoeducational evaluation:

Your Complete ADHD / ADD Diagnosis Guide

Penny

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.