Sports practices and ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Sports practices and ADHD

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ctmom
      Participant

My son adores hockey – but as he moves from house to travel, drills all of a sudden get much more complicated and hard for him to follow and re Locate . I don’t want him to not be able to do something he loves so I am looking for tips and tricks that have worked. We have suggested saying the drill to himself as the coach does it. (Drills can have 5-6 steps easily) (Twice around forwards, once around backwards, backwards crossovers down the ice, etc). Have any of your kids come up with things they have used to help them with this type of problem? Would love an ideas that have helped!

hayes
      Participant

Ctmom –

I’m a HS teacher (24 yrs) and coach at one of the more competitive athletic schools in my state – and I have ADD. If it’s a traditional ‘line-style’ drill, one way would be to make sure that after the coach has explained the drill he’s 3rd or 4th in line, and watch the first few players closely and mirror what they do. I say 3-4 back because any further back and he may lose his concentration/focus on the drill; also, he’ll have to stay focused because his turn will come quickly enough! Drills are really about building skills, so his place in line should have no bearing on his ability/standing on the team.

Another way would also be for your son to talk to his coach. If the coach is a real professional, he/she will want to work with one of their players to make sure they maximize their players’ potential for the good of the team. No need to mention ADD (unless you’re comfortable doing so), but just for him to say he’s having a hard time focusing on some of the instructions re: drills, and what can be done to help that. Maybe it’s because of my own ADD, but I would respect the courage and insight of S player who’s asking in order to get better. I hope this helps…

CH

Ctmom
      Participant

Thank you!!! Very good advice! I will try all of the above!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.