Son 12 and single mom both ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Son 12 and single mom both ADD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Echospark
      Participant

Single parents out there who are ADD and their child is too…..HELP! 🙂
      How can we stay on top of life when we both have ADD? House, homework, dishes, I can’t even figure out how to do a chore chart b/c I am stuck engineering the small stuff….I can make HUGE business decisions at work but can’t figure out what soup to buy at the grocery store…..
      Any tips that have worked?
      Thank you!!

kmccor76
      Participant

Oh my gosh. I am struggling with the same thing. My son is 13 and its just the 2 of us. I find I get I get a good plan and then become easily discouraged and forget what I’m trying to do. I really want to set a good example for him but a lot of times I feel like I’m just as lost as he must be feeling. That then brings on depression and the feeling of being underwater. Once I’m not overwhelmed I feel paralyzed and unable to do anything. That then prevents me from keeping on top of anything which causes everything to stack up again and the cycle repeats. I sure hope someone can offer some suggestions.
      Thanks

Echospark
      Participant

Exact same experience!!! Hope others have some good tips 🙂

dadwithadhd
      Participant

Hi to both moms,
      I recently found out that I have and ADHD, and I am adult in 50’s…
      I hope this reference may help you it help me,
      check Mel Robinson “5 Second Rule” website,
      go to blogs or her you tube videos, lady is very good,
      her principle help me with my issues as consequences from ADHD.
      Check her blog where she talks about prioritization and to do list,
      and other website where she talks of before going to bed wright down the tasks ones
      you will do anyhow through day (e.g. breakfast, cloths to wear, what laundry), so your brain
      doesn’t get overloaded, so you don’t waste time on them in morning figuring out, and follow through,
      stick on sticker and glue to your smartphone on back, and do it and check once done.
      Remember trick is count 5,4,3,2,1 and do it, trick the brain…

I implement this and feel much better.
      Good luck and hope it helps….

Lemongirl
      Participant

I’m a single mom with 2 boys 8&10. Both have ADHD and oldest also has ODD. I hear you on having a difficult time. We also live with my father who also has ADHD. I did a lot of behavioural intervention on myself while in University with a counsellor. I have A LOT of healthy organizational skills I have learned from that time. Despite this I’m struggling every day with my boys. I went unmedicated until this year when I started to feel like I was always in catastrophe mode.

I’m curious does anyone know if puberty changes how an ADHD child copes. My oldest son seems to be struggling with more impatience and impulsiveness than before. He is unmedicated because we are unschooling/homeschool. So we have a fairly project based . . . interest based learning approach. Just wanted to say I get what all of you are going through. you are not alone.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Since there is a strong genetic component to ADHD, there are many parents who have ADHD themselves, and have one or more kids with ADHD. There are some great coping strategies for when both parent and child have ADHD in these articles:

13 Survival Strategies for Moms with ADHD

Bringing Up Baby: Motherhood with ADHD

Terry Matlen’s book, Queen of Distraction, is packed full of helpful tips for women with ADHD too.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.