some newbie questions (tools, online support)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD some newbie questions (tools, online support)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      excusemyenglish
      Participant

Hello,

First of all:
      I hope this is the right place to ask these questions, if not, apologies! Also: I’m not a native speaker of English. If I’sound’ a bit weird that’s why.

Background:
      I’m 34 (female) and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. It has made many things clear for me. I was prescribed medication and it works wonders, in the sense that I’m no longer in a perpetual state of blind panic (and even severe depression) for not overseeing the chaos life is. I am currently on a waiting list for therapy & coaching, mainly focussed on structuring daily life, handling symptoms, etc. My current therapist is no expert in this field.

The only problem: I have to wait several months before there is an opening at the institute where I can get treatment. In the meantime I’m suddenly very very aware of what I’m struggling with, but at the same time I don’t have a clue what to do about it, which is frustrating. I’ve tried my best (and my therapist tried as well!) finding a person who could ‘coach’ me temporary, but the options where I live are either unaffordable for me, or very much focused on spiritual, new-agey business, which is really not my game. There are no ‘informal’ support groups that I know off.

Questions
      – I would like to get in touch with adults experiencing (about) the same problems, even if it’s just online (I don’t live in the US, Canada or UK). For questions like these, but also for more informal thoughts I guess? Is this the right place for an online community like that, or do you advice other message boards/apps/websites? No Facebook groups though (a bit too public…)

– Do you have book (app, movie…idk?) recommendations? About adult ADHD in general but also, or mainly, with practical tips&tricks:
      >> My main problem at the moment is structuring daily life as a (oh dear) freelancer. I work from home, and ironically enough my work concerns mostly reading and writing, which at some days seems impossible. I exercise, I tried renting a small office space, but because of fluctuating energy and concentration it’s so hard to create a ‘steady’ structure in life. Not to mention that I don’t get how to fit in household chores, seeing friends, hobbies, into my days. I absolutely LOVE my job so I don’t consider a career change, but I could really use some help until I finally can see an expert.

– A more specific question: what is your solution on days your brain is a mess and your body just wants to run through walls and lift heavy things, while in fact you need to be a responsible adult with deadlines, a job, etc.? Because sometimes even the (prescription) drugs don’t work 😉

Thanks for your attention. I know it takes some effort to read a long text like this, heh.

DROFAS
      Participant

Hi!
      I’m recently diagnosed also, as a 69yo male. So, I don’t have all the answers.
      Here’s what I’ve found so far:
      Exercise (which you are doing) helps a lot.
      Journaling
      Time management techniques
      I spend some time browsing this and some other ADD and ADHD sites just to get the overall “feel” for what’s going on with me. A lot of the information is aimed at children and parents, but even those can help.
      Hope this helps.
      By the way, your written English is very good.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Create as much structure as possible. If there are tasks you do every day, schedule them (for example, shower every day at 7 am). If there are tasks you do every week, like laundry, schedule them for the same day and time every week. This will help the tasks become more habitual and that means less considering if you can postpone them.

6 Easy Ways to Juggle All Those Balls

8 No-Fail Focus Tricks for Adults with ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

excusemyenglish
      Participant

Thanks, both!

Drofas, do you have examples of time management techniques you use? I’ve been browsing some apps and websites but to be honest it all seems a bit overwhelming. Setting a simple alarm clock doesn’t seem to do the trick.

ADHDmomma: yes, I think you are right. I’m trying to imply as much structure as possible but it’s so so hard, because I forget things, or my days don’t go as planned, etc. Suppose it’s a learning curve, can’t wait to get help 🙂

Thanks, again!

koala17
      Participant

Hello! I’m around your age, relatively recently diagnosed and understand a lot of what you’re going through! Happy to connect directly somehow to chat if you would like/possible 🙂 Hang in there!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.