Social life of family

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  christinecmt 3 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

leanz
    Participant

Hello!

How has your social life affected because of your child’s ADHD?

I sometimes feel alone and unsupported as the friend circle has definitely reduced.

Wonder what all I can do to help with this.

TIA!

Leanz

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

I’m an extreme introvert with social anxiety, so I wasn’t social anyway. LOL.

Your other mom friends don’t know what they don’t know. And they can’t support you in what they don’t know. Just know that they’re not the friends to support you in the ADHD parenting struggles, and find some parents who get it that you can lean on for that kind of support.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

leanz
    Participant

Thank you Penny for taking time to reply.
    What you mentioned is right. Thanks again!

Regards,
    Leanz

christinecmt
    Participant

Leanz,

Yes, yes, yes it does. If it isn’t people just not getting it, it is the extreme exhaustion from the emotional ups and downs, lots of downs, taking its toll on the entire family. We have a teenage daughter with ADHD, ODC and Anxiety. We have been playing with meds to help regulate her extreme emotions and depression. Any time I try to relate to a fellow Mom, I get “Oh, she is just being a teen”. I have one awesome cousin who listens to me, lets me vent and offers heartfelt reassurance, she has been a lifesaver. ADHD is all consuming, try to make time to NOT think about it. I am slowly discovering that I must take care of myself, find time, find support, exercise, meditate, go for a walk. You can’t take care of your kid if you are not taking care of yourself.

Hang in there and good luck
    ctm

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.