Slow and Steady

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MrNeutron 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Getittogethergirl
    Participant

I was diagnosed almost a year ago and wow has it been a difficult yet also strengthening year. I found great relief with medication but am often discouraged that I still struggle with ADHD behaviors daily. Lately I have been trying to take pleasure in the small steps I take every day to improve myself. That is difficult for me because I am most impatient with myself.

When I am able to celebrate my tiny victories, it is easier to see my progress. Some tiny victories I want to acknowledge to myself:

1. I have gotten so much better at pulling myself out of bed in the morning and getting dressed before noon
    2. I bought a calendar, posted it, and even wrote myself reminders on it
    3. I have gotten better at putting my keys on the key ring
    4. I can share my love with my family more fully as I am not aggravated by constant exhaustion (thank you, meds)
    5. I make dinner sometimes instead of never
    6. My tedious home tasks and chores seem more important to me now, which makes them easier to do. Repeatedly.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Medication is just one tool. It doesn’t “cure” ADHD, it just helps.

You’re doing a great job tackling goals a little at a time. THat’s why you’re making good progress. Congratulations!

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

MrNeutron
    Participant

Could you disclose the meds that help you with exhaustion?
    Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.