Sleep Issues

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      adhdadult401
      Participant

I was taking adderall 15 – 25 milligrams for a good amount of time. Close to 10 years. I stopped taking it about 7 months ago and I haven’t been able to sleep. Extremely severe insomnia. I’ve been to do doctors and the haven’t solved the issue. I’m trying to keep my job but it’s like extremely severe. Separate matter is I’m really having trouble in general with deadlines not being on meds. Is there ways I can get work accommodations for my adhd. The doctor that prescribed my medicine won’t answer me since I started having issues with medication. If I go back on it will it help me sleep what should I do? It like really bad my whole schedule is basically around giving me enough time to sleep. I god to bed at like 6-7 still get no sleep. Been this way since about March.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You may have tried these strategies already, but posting to be sure:

5 Fixes for “I Can’t Sleep”

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

MomwithADHD8
      Participant

Hi, I know I’m replying late and this thread is a few months old but I experience sleep issues as well.

I have gone to a sleep neurologist and he taught me a lot of tricks that helped. One being to shorten your time in bed. You say you’re getting into bed early, which may be the problem. My neurologist tolls me that if you start out with shorter times (like 11pm to 5am) your body will begin to become more efficient with sleep, as it learns that that is the only amount of time it’ll have to sleep. Then slowly increase the length of time.

Also, don’t bring any electronics into bed or watch tv. If you can’t fall asleep within 20 minutes of getting into bed, go somewhere else and do something relaxing until you’re tired (not electronics or tv- reading, writing, painting etc.)

Personally, I’ve felt like my mind is quite active at night and had read somewhere that a low dose of stimulant medication may actually help some people with ADHD sleep better. You should try to talk to your doctor or find another one and maybe look into different medication options.

I hope some of this helps and wish you luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.