Sleep issues with 7 year old

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      rookieslr
      Participant

Hi folks,

I have a 7 year old son with ADHD, and sleeping for him was great up until about 6 months ago.
      We have a fairly good routine with him (pj’s on, washroom, brush teeth, story, lights off and bed), and this occurs at the same time every night, within between a 30 minute window.

He now gets up ALL the time, it ranges from ‘turn the tv down’ which we don’t have up loud, ‘I need a toy’ to ‘I want the washroom’ but does not actually go, he wanders around, doing whatever.

We used to give him melatonin, which works wonders, 20 minutes after a dose and he would fall fast asleep.
      But can anyone advise on the lasting effects of keeping your child on it? We use it for around a month or so before taking him off it, because it is to our knowledge, you should not keep a child on melatonin for long periods of time?

Also, I am researching purchasing a white noise machine, and just wondering has anyone on here had any success with these, especially using them for sleep routines? Further to this, I know white noise machines are not a one size fits all, but are there any brands that people can recommend?

I have seen posts similar to mine, but I did not want to hijack other posts, as that is not fair to all.

Thank you for your help in advance.

RookieSLR 🇨🇦

• This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by rookieslr.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I can’t tell you the long-term effects of melatonin, but my son has been taking it for 12 years (currently using the Olly Sleep Gummies which have a couple other ingredients too, he’s 18). It’s the only way he gets sleep. The following also help him:

– weighted blanket
      – nature sounds
      – essential oils
      – Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime EXTRA tea (has to be the extra)

4 Get-to-Sleep Products for Restless Kids

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Gazettechan
      Participant

I don’t have any idea for the long-term effects of melatonin as well.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.