Should I seek a diagnosis?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Should I seek a diagnosis?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MJ1981 3 months ago.

• Author

Hello lovely humans!

I’m a confused Junior in High School sitting on the fence on whether I should seek help. ADHD has always been a label that’s been carelessly slapped around in my house onto kids my parents deemed exhibiting ‘bad behavior’. It’s been awfully stigmatized by both my parents during my entire life, but after beginning to read what ADHD can actually be like, I’m starting to find that I exhibit many symptoms of ADHD and relate to lots of experiences that people with ADHD describe, which is kinda trippy.

School has always been a frustrating struggle. I’ve always felt stupid because I’m usually the last to finish almost every assignment and test ever even though I usually do well (if I finish). I’ve always had to spend hours every night doing work that I’ve missed because I space out during class and it takes me almost double the amount of time as all of my friends to do homework. I’m almost always sleep deprived.

But this year it’s just too much. I feel so out of control. I don’t have time for procrastination and can’t make my mind focus on what it needs to when it needs to. I have like 30 missing assignments. I feel like such a failure. I’ve never done this poorly. I’m scared that if I go to my school psychologist that they’ll just tell me that I’m stupid and lazy and looking for an excuse on which to blame by shortcomings as a person and that I’m therefore being extremely insulting to those with diagnosed ADHD, which is really not what I want to do.

I just, I don’t know what to do.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

The only way to know is to get an ADHD evaluation. Your school psych should not dismiss you without investigating your concerns. Knowing that it’s ADHD, if it is, then opens the door to understanding and treatment, which will help you a great deal.

This symptom test might help you determine if you’re on the right track, and you can print and take the results to your psych. I know you’re a teen, but the adult test will be more appropriate than the one for kids at your age.

[Self-Test] Could You Have Adult ADHD / ADD?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

MJ1981
    Participant

First off please know that you are not stupid and you are not lazy. Secondly, the fact that you recognize you might need help is a sign that you are aware of what is going on. I would not be afraid to talk to the school psychologist. If you tell them that you feel out of control and explain it like you did in your post (maybe even print out the post and show it to them for clarity) they will probably talk to you about how long this has been going on and will try to figure out the cause of your problem.

There could be many reasons you are having trouble in school; it could be ADD or it could be some other underlying learning issue that hasn’t been diagnosed. It could be a number of things.

Lastly, I recommend you also talk to your parents. Sometimes parents say things w/out realizing the impact, or they say things without intending to label someone. When you say they are stigmatizing ADD, they may not even realize they are doing so. And I’m sure their main concern will be your well being and if you tell them you’re feeling out of control and struggling with your school work they will be more concerned about helping you. It’s possible they won’t be able to understand your belief that you have ADD, so it could help if you printed out the articles you saw that talk about ADD to show them; give them something to help them understand why you think you have it.

Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.