Should/ Can I get a second opinion?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Should/ Can I get a second opinion?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      enharten
      Participant

I’ve previously been tested in the first quarter of 2017 for ADHD. The psychologist told me, afterwards that I was borderline (missing the childhood history) for ADHD but wasn’t willing to give me that diagnosis. She told me that I had slow processing speed, dysthymia, and anxiety. I can’t be sure, but I think a major part of the reason that I was not diagnosed is the letter my mom wrote to the psychologist painting me as a perfect, unproblematic, delightful child.

Fast forward two years. My boyfriend (who was diagnosed adhd in his adolescence) more or less demanded that I get a second opinion. I take sertraline and bupropion xl for depression. I still have problems starting and finishing chores and errands. I very nearly let a medical bill that was only $10 go into collections just because I never could get myself to open the envelope to even see how much it was. I’m unable to plan trips (well). This is what prompted my boyfriend to insist on this: we were traveling for the holidays and had our trains not been late, we would have missed them because I read the schedules wrong. Just to give a few examples.

I know nobody can say just from what I’ve written here whether I’ve got adhd, but I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile trying to get a second opinion or get tested again.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s always worthwhile to get a second opinion if you question the diagnosis. Trust your gut.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

CyanideCherries
      Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 5 and boy, let me tell you what a whirlwind my life is. But if I know anything at all, it’s that you my friend almost certainly have ADHD. I’m not a professional of ADHD, but I’m a professional of MY ADHD, and girl, you actually had me cracking up because I’ve for real had multiple bills go to collections because I was deathly afraid of seeing the damage lol I’m terrible at remembering anything at all, even if it’s staring me right in the face, even if it happened literally two seconds ago, even if we’re in the middle of a conversation, I will almost certainly forget what I’m doing, who I am, what we’re taking about, etc, etc lol It drives my boyfriend crazy because he’ll be explaining something to me and I can’t help it, my mind starts to wander, but I’m so good at this now, because I can effectively pull off the illusion that I’m still paying attention lmao I know social cues and stuff so it’s kind of natural now to insert “mhmm, yeah” or nod my head at the appropriate time, meanwhile I’m completely absent 😂

Chores are just… the bane of my god damn existence. I want so badly for everything to be clean, but I guess I like being glued to my couch too much to do much of anything. I really have to hype myself up to get something done, but sometimes, all that hype just ends up putting pressure on my shoulders and giving me anxiety and then I start overthinking things, and by the time you know it, the whole week has gone by and I have done absolutely nothing lol

And don’t ever ask me to plan anything, because if you overload me with details,(and by overload I mean anything more than THREE details) I will have already forgotten what the hell we were even talking about. God, isn’t that so frustrating? Forgetting everything whenever the hell your brain wants? Well, that’s just life with ADHD haha

Should you get a second opinion? Girl, YES, duh! And if you ever wanna talk a little more about it with someone who can confirm that you’re not crazy, don’t be shy, and come on by!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.