Shopping ADHD evaluations

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      AutumnDraidean
      Participant

So we are on high deductible insurance, the whole idea being that you budget and are cost sensitive about your care. At the same time I am experiencing providers and systems that are in no way set up for this concept. from drug prices that vary from pharmacy to pharmacy, but cannot be quoted in advance, to providers not even knowing how much the patient is being charged for the session. It’s a shell game and it defies understanding.

We’re pursuing a diagnosis for our 19 year old. The thing that’s making me the most upset is how I cannot get a straight answer on cost. I know every patient is different but after doing it yeah many times there should be few simple questions one can ask to make a guess at say “easy” “medium” “complicated” assessments and assign a price for each one that someone could budget for.

I don’t want to write a blank check, I won’t necessarily choose the cheapest option but neither do I want to be taken for a ride. I’ve started a spreadsheet to collect what I learn but this is awful.

Surely there’s a better way?

Aaron Lewis
      Participant

It’s will probably be more $150 for an evaluation. I would highly recommend you check the list ADHD directory list on the website, and see if you can find clinicians who will evaluate your child.

AutumnDraidean
      Participant

Nice idea, and $150 is cheap, the cheapest I’ve seen is ~$200 for two sessions but they can’t tell me how many sessions my daughter will need.(aggravating because this practice has counseled her in the past, I guess therapist records aren’t like other medical records.They are also insisting on a new soup to nuts intake.) She’s 19 by the way.

Also this site doesn’t see NYS above Albany, or Burlington Vt. or even Montreal Canada. I’ve found some places but have been suffering this shell game and I’ve also been begging this site to expend their directory outside of urban areas and into Canada!

We will get it figured out…but it’s still infuriating! I’m ADHD myself and even medicated, this is administrative torture! The steps are not hard, but the lack of definitive answers is.

AutumnDraidean
      Participant

Another example of shell game. A listing in Psychology Today that seemed to indicate a provider in my region. I left an e-mail and was called on a shakey cell phone connection by a woman with a heavy accent. I don’t normally mind an accent but the cell connection was too much. Hopefully we can continue the conversation via e-mail but I’m a little leery that this provider does not in fact have an office in my area. They said that they don’t have any office openings and were pushing on-line sessions…I couldn’t hear the initial price because of the shakey cell connection but follow-ups are $200 an hour. I just can’t wrap my brain around that price for never meeting someone in person.

I am also angry that this came up in a search when there’s a good possibility there isn’t an office in my town. (The actual office is 100 miles south) If that’s true I’m mad at Psychology Today.

Maybe I’m wrong, but this feels hinky, lets see if they e-mail me.

Cndsmommy1
      Participant

I may be wrong, but for some reason I am thinking that there was a law passed federally that requires up front pricing to be available to patients. I am not sure where you are in the world, but you should be able to have a baseline price for eval, and then if any additional testing or whatever is needed, then there would be an additional set fee that you are aware of to start. I would check and see what the laws are in your area about healthcare pricing and see if perhaps you can share this with your preferred choice and hopefully get it straight. In my area, it is pretty straightforward and you can usually tell who is doing it for the money and who is doing it to help people. Good luck and God bless.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

What I was quoted years ago when we didn’t have insurance to cover an eval was $2,000+. When something is this costly, then most offices will have their insurance person give you a quote. Yes, you shouldn’t have to do that, pricing should be regulated, but it’s not. And don’t get me started on the coverage of mental health in general…

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.