Services offered with IEP's

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  deb91 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

teairra84
    Participant

What are some services your school provide for your child with their IEP besides Speech Therapy and occupational therapy?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Pull-out services are common for kids who need help with particular subjects. Also, assistive technology becomes more available when you have an IEP.

What needs does your child have that you’re looking for services to address?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

StillPlaysMC
    Participant

I’m not answering your question directly, but I’m assuming you’re asking this because you want to try giving your kid an IEP. If that’s what you decide on, then you might want to read this.

Well, first things first, I’m not a parent. I’m not even fifteen years old. However, as a middle school student who happens to have an IEP, I can give you some advice.
    For one thing, you always need to tell your kid about their IEP and how it will accommodate them. Always include them when creating the IEP. Always, always, always. Before I was diagnosed, everyone thought I didn’t care. My father would beat me and yell at me. Even after my diagnosis, he continues to be controlling (though that’s not very useful information).
    Anyway, I didn’t even know that I had an IEP. On top of that, I wasn’t even allowed to say what I wanted. I wasn’t allowed to tell people what I needed. My parents, who had no understanding of me, did it instead.
    And I hated it. Every single year, it was the same thing. It didn’t help me. It wasted time and depleted my self esteem by a ton, once I found out about my IEP. I thought everyone saw me as nothing more than some freak who needed special education. By sixth grade, I had grown out of my anger issues and had no use for the group. I didn’t understand at all why I was there, and I was treated the wrong way. That was from second grade to sixth. All those years that could’ve been spent helping me were wasted because I wasn’t included.

Please don’t do the same to your child.

asimsohio
      Participant

Hi and thank you for your post. My daughter is in the second grade on an IEP. She is not able to communicate what she needs/wants so I have to guess a lot of the time. I think she needs more time away from the classroom. She is pulled out into a common area with 3 other kids for 1.5 hours a day. I was thinking she may need some more breaks. Anyways, can you share what you wished you had been able to do when you were younger? Looking for new ideas! I am so sorry you have been misunderstood for so long. You seem like an incredibly aware young person. Thank you for any advice.

deb91
    Participant

StillPlays,

Kudos to you for responding! You sound like a very thoughtful, intelligent middle schooler. I hope your situation at home has improved, and if not, you should certainly confide in an adult you can trust, perhaps a favorite teacher. No one should be beaten or yelled at for sure! And you are right, kids should always be in the loop in planning, even if they can’t or don’t want to attend the meetings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.