Self medicating with marijuana

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Self medicating with marijuana

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hjordisaa 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

hjordisaa
    Participant

So I smoke weed every day, and I have smoked weed just about every day for the last 5 or 6 years. In the last few years it’s been a lot- 3 or 4 blunts a day. I tried to stop recently because my psychiatrist wanted me to. So I stopped but it wasn’t long before I was so restless it felt intolerable. I’m talking about doing chores until 10 pm because I feel like I need to be doing something. In retrospect, I use the pot to turn that off.

I hoped that maybe a stimulant would help even me out. Make it not so all-or-nothing. That sense of calm people with ADHD on stimulants describe. Alas, no stimulant prescription for me. Does anyone else have any experience/ feedback?

Bluntage
    Participant

Hey there,

I’m new here but I used marijuana daily for about 15 years and your story is similar to mine. Are you sure it’s just the ADD that the marijuana is helping or could it be a specific type of depression? Do you find that your mood and the ability to enjoy activities starts out okay when you wake up and then deteriorates throughout the day and you find that you need marijuana to be able to enjoy things in addition to calming your mind down? Let me know and if your answer is yes to all those questions I can probably help you.

hjordisaa
      Participant

Hi!

Well I definitely have depression too. And when I stop smoking sometimes ALL my thoughts go negative. And that is usually worse at night. If I smoke I start to talk, observe, and have more neutral/curious thoughts instead of negative ones.

And yes, I don’t smoke until I’m done with work. If I’m at the office I’ll have plenty of energy and feel good. When I’m working from home things are very variable.

I’m not sure about needing it to enjoy things, that doesn’t really strike a chord with me. Well, I suppose I have recognized that I’ll struggle to enjoy relaxation- I won’t enjoy TV shows, I won’t be present when spending time with my boyfriend. Stuff like that. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Hi. I definitely identify. Daily pot honestly helped me more than antidepressants. But, I did see where I still couldn’t do detailed tasks, pick up social cues, and several other things. I tried the stimulants and I would have the best 6 hours of my life and then end up crying and unable to get up off the floor. And no, extended release didn’t help.
      What has helped is strattera and Wellbutrin. The function differently than the stimulants or ssri’s. While I would occasionally live to have a smoke to chill, I don’t think about it like I used to. That deep relaxing breath that says it will be ok when you smoke- I don’t need that now because the spring inside me has finally loosened up and stayed that way. Best of luck.

Bluntage
    Participant

It sounds like you do have what’s called dysphoria like I do. You usually need a med to handle your depression and one to handle dysphoria. You should talk to your Doctor about it. Effexor, Pristiq and Wellbutrin are all really good at treating that and so is marijuana. If your Doctor wants you to quit marijuana first then I recommend just telling them you did so you can get meds that will actually help you. Read about Dysphoria too obviously and check and see if all the symptoms match up. The two go hand and hand with depression but that’s not always the case. Also talk to them about a prescription to cannabis too although that can be a hard sell depending on your Doctor. Let me know how things go.

Mrs.Farnsworth
    Participant

Cannabis is one of the best treatments for ADHD, especially alongside a stimulant that is amp based.

I’m not a doctor, and I do not recommend combining it with SSRI meds, as that combo can impair driving.

It also depends on the strain used. We talk about cannabis like it’s just one drug. It’s not. The combination of different cannabinoids and terpenes in the strains make up thousands of different medicines. Each one has different effects.

Research the endocannabinoid system. Newly discovered, it is just as important as and works together with all of the other systems in the body.
    Our bodies already make natural cannabinoids (example: anandamide, an endogenous analogue of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, aka endocannabinoids). Some people need exogenous cannabinoids to supplement (example: vaping cannabis).

It is healthy to balance the endocannabinoid system. Once research on this takes off (finally), it will change the way we think about medicine.

Celeste65
    Participant

Weed is not a cure all for everything.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Whether it is for cannabis or traditional medicine, I always urge folks to time their productivity for similar tasks and not go by “feel”.

You can feel good and not make progress or productivity while others can not feel anything different, but receive great benefit.

Stimulants are not the only game in town.

rajputrana
    Participant

Some of the Primary reasons people Utilize Bud Is to Decrease Stress and Deal with stress, and There’s a Notion out there Which people Using Bud May Have a Lack of Their Very Own marijuana-like Compounds Inside their Own Brain.

mrbreezeet1
    Participant

I’m sure doing chores till 10 PM is No picnic, But I am the extreme opposite. I don’t want to do A Damn thing. If I smoke marijuana, It gives me too much anxiety, The anxiety will wear off, then sometimes I feel like doing things, But I guess I really don’t like smoking it that much.
    I can’t wait to take my sleeping pills at night, and don’t get out of bed till 3PM I don’t shower, I hate to leave the house. I often wish I would pass away. I am not eating right, there is Never! nothing good to eat in the house.
    If I complain on Facebook, I am told to “Be Happy”
    and to Count My Blessings” And that Makes me mad.
    I Know I should be grateful, and lots of people have it worse than me,
    But it’s not like Im doing this on Purpose.
    people always have to play the devils advocate.
    I tried wellbutrin for 6 weeks but it hasn’t done any good, And I have not been able to Drag myself to the doctors since then.
    Do you think Lexapro would work better than Wellbutrin?
    Oh, I tried CBD Oil, It was supposed to be a Good quality brand, But It didn’t do any good.
    Also the first time I took it I took 7 Drops, I got noticeably tired.
    The lady that sells it said I should “Take a Walk”
    NO YOU TAKE A WALK!
    Either that, or I could not take the CBD, not get tired, then I wouldn’t need to take a walk, I have a bit of a Hard time walking, and am often clumbsy, and It makes me mad.
    I told her “I didn’t want to take a walk”
    Then They give you This B/S about “Finding the sweet spot” dosage wise,
    I think It’s a Bunch of B/S and they just want to Sell The CBD to make commission.
    Oh then another Lady at the facebook group, said I was “Probably detoxing” LMAO yeah, 7or 8 drops of CBD oil, the toxins were just rushing out of my body. What, Do they think people are stupid.
    I hate My life these days.

hjordisaa
      Participant

Mrbreezet1 Lexapro and Wellbutrin are a nice combination and very common. My response to Wellbutrin has been the best out of everything I’ve tried. Good at getting me off the couch. The Lexapro is good for anxiety. I’m on 300mg Wellbutrin XL and 15 mg Lexapro, plus I’m trying vyvanse.

Best of luck!

Equitube
    Participant

I have self medicated with cannabis for about 4 years since it became fully legal and incredibly cheap. It’s cheaper than cigarettes here.

It helps with pain, fear, depression and anxiety. Mainly the pain and fear of running out, the depression that brings, and the anxiety of NOT BEING STONED. ;-P (Sorry, I adapted a meme I’d seen.

It does definitely help my anxiety and back pain. Other than that, it just gets me stoned too much to feel like doing much of anything. Except my other self-medicine, IV meth.

Yes that’s true. For about 15 years now I’ve been a tweaker as they say. I don’t steal from people, scrap cars, (though I drive a custom van w/license & insurance) or mow my lawn at 3am.I have all my teeth, (except one that I broke on a bbq rib but that was 20yrs ago.) I hold a BA in computers, though don’t work any longer because I developed MS 4 years ago and am on disability. I do run an underground “nightclub” though.

However I actually like my life now. I finally have self confidence and often feel good about myself. I am 53 and usually date women under 40. And there are no shortage of them if one has confidence.

However, I can give none of the credit of my fairly recent awareness to drugs. I dated and lived with a friend I’d known 30 years who told me they’d desired me all that time. They made me feel attractive again and gave me back my mojo.

Pot is no miracle drug. It gets you high. I haven’t noticed any effect on pain & anxiety from the high CBD/low or no THC strains. And meth. Don’t bother to go there. What’s sold today has little to no actual methamphetamine in it.

I have cut my use down to very occasionally. At one time it was a daily obsession until I realized that ‘its all just sh**’

What I do I wouldn’t recommend to anyone, but it’s working for me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.