School to Drop Daughter’s IEP

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anni @ ADDitude
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user klsmidwestmom in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

Before Spring Break we had conferences and my daughter’s special education teacher said they wanted to start a 45-day trial to get my daughter out of special education. She is in 6th grade and is only in special education for Math. She said she has met all of her goals and is no longer discrepant from her peers. I have a friend who is a teacher and she said that the criteria is harder now to get an IEP and if they drop her, she more then likely won’t be able to get another one down the line if she is to need it (she has had her IEP since 3rd grade)

Since this is the end of 6th grade, I don’t feel this is the time to drop the IEP. Why not wait until 7th grade gets going and see how she is doing with Math gets more difficult? Also, she has a teacher that follows her to Math class and is very good at explaining things to her and helps her everyday, so this is the reason she is doing so well in Math. It’s only been two days of the trial out and my daughter has had no help, her anxiety is through the roof, good grades are important to her and she has been struggling with ratios. Past two days it has taken her nearly 50 min to get a small sheet of Math done on her own.

I e-mailed the principal with my concerns and he said they can’t legally keep her on her IEP when she has met all of her goals. He stated and I quote “This should be a celebration for your child, she has met her goals and no longer needs this service.”

I agree that when the time is right, and she feels confident and isn’t struggling at all, that we will celebrate this occasion, but I don’t feel that 6th grade is the place to do this, Math is comfortable for her right now, at this grade, but it’s only going to get harder, what can I do?

Hope @ ADDitude
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Priscilla Carter in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I am a School Psychologist as well as a mother to an 8 year old ADHD child. I agree with you. 6th grade is not the time to take her out of Special Education. The transition to Jr. High is such a hard one. They need to monitor her without the in-class-support and see how she does. Her grades will go down if she is already experiencing this kind of stress after two days. Even if they don’t I would fight to keep her IEP at least on a consultation basis through 7th grade. Contact the School’s Psychologist and see if you can get some help from him/her about this. You can also go to your state’s education website and look up your rights as a parent. You are a voting member of the IEP meeting (or whatever they call it where you are). You are sometimes the only one to fight for your child. The school is not out to be unreasonable, they are just so stressed to make sure they are “being legal”.

However, just because she has met all her goals does not mean she does not need special education. There might be other goals/needs she has that can and should be added to her IEP. If they are wanting to phase out the In-class-support they could write a goal that includes something about her advocating for herself and asking for help/clarification when she does not understand something. If the general education teacher can not take the time it will take to explain it to her again then she can be sent to the special education teacher for explanation, then go back to class to get her work done.

Hope @ ADDitude
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user parentcoachjoyce in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I agree with what has been said but another idea if they do exit her is to get a 504 plan in place right away so she has the same accommodations that are working for her. It’s a pain because it’ll have to be updated each year but at least she will have the support she needs.

Joyce Mabe
      Parent coach, school counselor, mom to adult son with ADHD, author
      http://www.parentcoachjoyce.com

Hope @ ADDitude
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

You need to be very clear that you do not agree with her IEP ending and you do not accept it.

This is mentioned in more detail in these articles:
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8417.html
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/711.html

Don’t back down. You are a legally-mandated part of the team.

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.