School System During Pandemic

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents School System During Pandemic

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mndbts92
      Participant

Hello all! I’m hoping to get some sort of advice here. I’m a single mom of two. My oldest child is 8 years old with ADHD. He is currently in what the school calls “extended care”. They are doing virtual learning with their teachers, but they are at the school with limited staff. This school was picked specifically because of their expertise in dealing with children that have more needs than others, but since they’re not at full staffing/operation, they have been unable to help my son or deal with him. It’s to the point now where they are talking about having him not return. This is extremely frustrating because I work during his school hours and get assistance for my youngest child just to be able to work. I can’t afford sending him to a pricey special school and I cannot afford to hire a babysitter, nor can I trust one to be able to help him with his ADHD while learning. He’s already had to leave one care facility during COVID because of how terrible the staff was, meaning they just didn’t care what happened to the children. Unfortunately we are not in a great area and he is bullied a lot.

I am just not sure what to do with him at this point. I don’t know what options I have as this is relatively new to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

If he is at the school and you have an IEP, the school must accommodate him, even during COVID. They should be providing special education staff for students with IEPs that need additional help.

Your Child’s Educational Rights While Crisis Schooling: IEPs and 504 Plans in a Pandemic

If he doesn’t have an IEP, it may be time to request an evaluation and see if they qualify him for one.

The School Evaluation Process: How to Get Formal Assessments and Appropriate Services

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.