scared to tell…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jolly
      Participant

Hey guys, for some reason I’m scared to ask my parents to take me to a doctor so I can get diagnosed. I don’t know how they will respond. I want to tell them, but I’m not sure if they’ll believe me. I’ve scored high on all the ADHD tests online and I honestly KNOW! To be honest, I self-diagnosed myself, but dont worry, i’m not doing any drugs or anything. I am just 100% sure. I daydream, I get distracted easily, I space out when someone is talking to me, I move from one task to the other to the other, I fidget A LOT, I am constantly always moving or doing something with my hands or feet, I am always bored, I am super talkative, and I am very forgetful. I don’t know how to ask my parents.. I’m scared. can someone help me?

geaneano
      Participant

I can understand being afraid to ask. Are your symptoms affecting your grades at school? What is it that makes you want to be diagnosed? I ask because medication has side effects that may not be worth it unless you really think you need it.

If so, I think your parents would understand. At most schools, the school counselor or diagnostician would be happy to talk to you also. They can help you talk to your parents.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Jolly
      Participant

My symptoms are difficult at times. I have expressed to them that I might have ADHD. I just don’t know how to really explain it to them. I’ve tried to cope with my hyperactivity and lack of focus and concentration by drinking a cup of black tea, strongly brewed in the morning but the caffeine wears off by the time my second period begins.😛. Even if I was officially diagnosed, my parents wouldnt allow me to take medicine for it. Which sucks. The only thing is that I’m a freshman in highschool almost sophmore, and I’m honestly kind of scared for sophmore year… Any advise? Do you think I have ADHD?

geaneano
      Participant

I can’t diagnose, i can only compare symptoms. If caffeine helps calm you down, is there a way to drink it throughout the day?

There are great alternatives to medication. If you tell your parents you need help and that you are anxious about next year, surely they would at least be open to trying vitamins or essential oils. Don’t you think? Parents are usually open when they know the real struggles of their teens. Give them a chance to step up!

Jolly
      Participant

Ok thanks!!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Your parents want to help you succeed in life. Just talk to them openly about the specific things you’re struggling with, instead of using the term ADHD. Most people don’t really understand ADHD and how debilitating it can be, and can dismiss it because of that.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.