Running to treat ADHD

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nathalie P. 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Nathalie P.
    Participant

Did anyone of you manage your ADHD by doing sports such as running?

Bert
    Participant

I was tested for ADD twice, many years apart. I think a big part of why I’ve never been diagnosed is because I’ve always been athletic: sports in school (track & field), lots of cycling, hiking.

Bert
    Participant

… borderline ADD to begin with, anyway…

rch13c
    Participant

Natalie, this is an excellent question!
    The answer for me is YES!
    It beats any medication I was prescribed in the past for managing my ADHD.
    Best,
    Ryan

Nathalie P.
    Participant

My only problem is that it only helps for 3 or 4 hours.

rch13c
    Participant

I think staying focused and being productive for 3-4 hours is very good. I think people without ADHD would be very happy maintaining concentration for that length of time.
    However,it may be useful for you to take a break once it becomes no longer effective. Most people would disagree with me but I don’t have a daily routine. I know when it’s time, I just have to force myself to stop and do what I need to survive the day.
    I hope this helps.
    Ryan

Nathalie P.
    Participant

I am not focused for 3 or 4 hours, but I see an improvement during that time compared to the days without sport. I would love to have at least a slight improvement for more than that. I never tried medication but maybe there is something else which prolongs the period?

shares
    Participant

I feel that running also just relieves some anxiety that I feel along with helping stay focused even for a few hours. I go on fast walks on my lunch break and that even helps me a little.

mind-drive
    Blocked

Running IS my psychotherapy. I am on a 4 days a week running schedule, with cross training 2 days and 1 day for rest. Cross training. Bleachers, walk with a backpack, weights. Nothing too hard. Running is a great anti-depressant and they say it helps focus.

Ideally, I would spend at least 1 hour a day hiking in the mountains, but i live nowhere near mountains right now.

rch13c
    Participant

It’s good to hear these comments because I have difficulty explaining to others how this therapy helps me.

MrNeutron
    Participant

How is your breathing when you’re not exercising? Do you tend to hold your breath or take shallow breathes when under stress? Do you remember the last time your breath had a deep, relaxed and satisfying feeling to it?

Nathalie P.
    Participant

The breathing thing when I for instance meditate just helps for like 15 minutes. Been trying that for a couple years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.