RSD as a consequence of ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls RSD as a consequence of ADHD

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lys 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

kelleyc416
    Participant

Does anyone have any advice for treating RSD? I don’t think that I have social anxiety, because I can turn on and off being sociable sometimes…

when I’m really stressed out from lack of focus though, I start to think that other people are consciously choosing to pick on me. Though I know everyone else is going through their own struggles, I often feel like I’m insignificant and that I make other people feel unpleasant when I’m around them. It’s like, I know that the emotion I project is what other people pick up, but I’m so afraid of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and making my social interactions more unpleasant.

I have friends who love and support me, but I’ve moved to a new place for school. I’m now trying to fix relationships that I’ve made in this new place, and which I feel that I’ve sabotaged from flourishing into working friendships, through my own insecurity.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Dr. William Dodson recommends guanfacine and clonidine/Kapvay to treat RSD:

How ADHD Ignites Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

Guanfacine

Kapvay

A MAOI is also found to help RSD, but it has a lot of interaction issues and can be more difficult for patients to manage.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Lys
    Participant

Having had a lot of “fun” going off medication that was hard to take and hard to cut, I don’t know that I recommend medicine as a first line of defense. Universities usually have counselling available for free for students, and I found it very useful. Just be sure that the counselor cannot prescribe, or the tendency is too much to resist. My counselor was a Social Work graduate, and really adept at getting me to argue with myself. It was frustrating and incredibly helpful at the same time :). You might even have access to CBT.

I do understand exactly what you are talking about, although as a strong introvert I never felt the need to formally treat it (had other fish to fry also). What helped me a lot was to realize that I’m way too good at reading emotions and micro-expressions on people’s faces, and as a result I’m often likely to react emotionally to something that was either not related to me in any way (somebody’s distraction about a personal problem would be perceived as reluctance to engage with me, for example), or to something that was transient and not an illustration of the person’s final conclusion (for example, eye roll was directed at my messy notes, or at my undiplomatic phrasing, but was not contempt of me as a person). Now if I get this insignificant feeling, I try to concentrate on what the person is saying verbally and act according to that. Then I go regroup and ideally do something that I feel capable of, and try again the next day. Usually if there is really a problem it will become clear over multiple consecutive interactions, in which case I regroup and go talk to somebody else (which is easier said than done, but age fortunately does help here).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.