Ritalin adult

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nathalie P.
      Participant

Hello, just started with 10 mg Ritalin adult. I take it at 7am and in the afternoon (2-3pm) I have the feeling that i get kind of sleepy from it. Is this normal?
      My doctor told me to take a second 10 mg at noon in cause I get very tired then. But I get tired later.
      Do you have any suggestions ?

amznwmn
      Participant

I would assume that the doctor is trying to alleviate your afternoon sleepiness by “heading it off at the pass,” so to speak. It may be that he wants you to take another 10 mgs at noon because by the time 2-3 comes around, your meds have worn off. This way, you don’t have to suffer the lag associated with your meds wearing off all the way before taking more and having to wait even longer for it to kick in. Make sense? Also, if you take the second dose at 2 or 3, it may be late enough to adversely affect your sleep.

MadisonDee
      Participant

I was on the 18mg extended release of ritalin for a month. I found that one of the best benefits was the fact that I felt awake, and well rested. Not bouncing off the walls but not tired. But due to it causing mild anxiety on the “come down” before bedtime my doctor opted to have me try out something similar to what you are doing, 10mg, one in the AM and one at Noon. I have found this dosing to cause me tremendous fatigue, the peaks and valleys are too close together. I think it may be because I need a higher dose, I will be asking him soon but that’s just from what I’ve read. Have you thought about trying the extended release? The only downfall is that it needs to be taken relatively early so you can go to bed at a regular hour. It’s a “long ride” as my doctor put it. It was wonderful in that it creates a very ‘even keel’ through the day, you don’t feel the ups and downs like you do with the twice a day dosing. The downfall was that it was annoying for me on weekends when I would sleep in, as I was faced with the “should I take this today or not” dilemma, but perhaps it would be a good fit for you. Just a thought! 🙂

andypie
      Participant

I am taking Ritalin 10mg 3x’s a day and it makes a huge difference from when I was taking 10mg 2x’s a day. When I was taking 2X’s a day I would fall asleep as soon as I got home from work around 6pm and I would be moody as heck. My husband didn’t see the benefits of my medication since I only really see him in the evenings. I felt like my home life didn’t see the benefits that my work and social life did from my medication. Since I started taking it 3x’s a day it helps with the sleepiness and I feel that I actually sleep better with the third dose and my husband gets to enjoy a pleasant wife and I can focus to get things done around the house or cooking dinner when I get home.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.