Recently diagnosed at 50

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Recently diagnosed at 50

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Stew51
      Participant

G’day all,
      I have been recently diagnosed as being ADD/ADHD at 50 years of age. It helps to have an explanation for my “normal” but it is all still new to me. I am taking Dexies 5mg twice per day which definitely helps me focus but struggling with side effects etc.
      A half lifetime of undiagnosed ADD and another half lifetime learning it and adopting strategies to manahe it ahead of me… sigh.
      Advice from any others’ whom had late diagnosis wold be appreciated… Thanks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s hard to work through all the emotions of diagnosis and the what-ifs and if-only’s that come with later inline diagnosis. This guide can help:

Your After-Diagnosis Survival Guide

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

forty.2answer
      Participant

Hi Stew,

I’m 53, diagnosed almost 2 years ago, but didn’t take it “seriously”, thought ADHD was for 6 year old boys. My doctor brought it up again about 6 weeks ago and I started investigating. Wow. It’s both a relief (you mean THAT’S whats been going on in my head all this time? I’m not crazy/alone/lacking in willpower) and frustrating (omg, what if this could have been managed earlier??) and I struggle with that balance too. For now I’ve focused more on fine tuning my meds & tracking stressors and patterns with the goal of feeling more consistently ‘focused’. Honestly I accepted a lot of my symptoms (procrastination, risk taking, hyper-focus and WIDE variety of interests) as behaviours, for better or worse, in my 30’s. Now my biggest issue is to go easier on myself, focusing on managing symptoms instead of beating myself up over not being as I think I “should” be. Did NOT expect all this emotional fallout, to be honest.

Let me know if you’ve found anything that helps, or had some epiphany or insight. :>
      Linda

Darryl
      Participant

Hello Folks,

I was just recently diagnosed at age 60. It explains decades of hyper activeness. I just started taking Vyvanse and it has settled me down.
      I do not like taking meds at all, and I find that keeping active also helps me out alot

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.