Reading Tools for iPad

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Reading Tools for iPad

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      robhaffey0824
      Participant

I have suffered from reading every word and getting to the end of a paragraph to realize I drifted off somewhere. I sometimes have to re-read a paragraph a few times before I manage to stay focused. I recently was diagnosed with ADHD. My son, also with ADHD, learned of a technique using your 4 fingers to underline the line you are reading. He has increased his speed 2-3x and improved his comprehension. I use an iPad for everything. Does anyone know of a way to use a similar technique when reading on an iPad or computer screen to stay focused? I see there are reading strips but again that would only work on paper. All of the assistive technology seems to be text to speech which doesn’t help me at all. I daydream during Audible books all the time.

Trying to fit in
      Participant

I hope someone with an answer replies. I was an avid reader before I quit smoking in 2007. I have not read a book since. My doctor said I was self medicating. I had quit for 6 months a couple years before that and could not read more than a paragraph before drifting off. I could retain everything the first day I started smoking again. Before 2007 I read at least 2 books a week, mostly non-fiction and a couple of newspapers a day. I still try to read the NYT on my iPhone or iPad and a couple of other papers but I can’t get past two paragraphs. I only skim most articles. Sorry to carry on about myself. I just hope someone replies with a good solution. I miss reading so much.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

http://Bookshare.org

With the $15 VoiceDream Reader app and Bookshare, you can read books in a multitude of ways, including highlight in sync with read aloud.

This article mentions Bookshare and more resources:

Reading Comprehension Tools for Students with ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.