Quo modo?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      angustaff
      Participant

I am 60 years old. I was diagnosed with ADD about seven years ago. Ritalin proved ineffective up to 40 mg but Adderall gave positive results and I was put on 20 mg twice a day. After some time, that was increased to 30 mg. About two years ago, it’ effectiveness dropped drastically and even Adderall XR gave positive results for only one- to two hours – a year ago, I was on Adderall XR 30 mg twice a day, with a 20 mg Adderall booster.

In July 2019, a urine sample tested positive for amphetamines at such a high level that the reviewing doctor (after receiving cellphone pictures of the prescription bottles,) recommended that I quit Adderall altogether – the level was 53,000 ng/ml.

So after consulting my doctor, I quit Adderall for several months and took Straterra instead. Though advised that it would need to build up in my body to become effective, I haven’t seen any effect either positive or negative. Three months ago, he put me on Adderall XR 30 mg twice a day in addition to the Straterra but the effect is so slight that I rarely take it – my one month supply has lasted me for 90 days!

What do I do now? Is it my diet? My doctor(s)? My age?

DiamondR
      Participant

I don’t know either Girlfriend, but after reading all those meds you’ve taken, I’m not so positive. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if a doc who specializes in ADHD answer your question? Sometimes I want to fly out to one of the many experts we listen to and read and get a proper diagnosis and scripts. Beg or borrow the money, regardless of the cost, just to see someone like Ned Hollowell and come away with confidence that they take you serious and help. I’ve read more than once of another ADHDer becoming immune to their meds. Like you, Rittalin did not work for me. Adderall then got switched to Vyvanse. It worked like “WOWSA, I can think!” but now I find my short term memory getting worse and worse as soon as an hour after my Vyvanse dose. It is like I’m immune. My (sarcasm here) nurse practitioner who specialized in psychiatry wants me to get tested for dementia. “Yeah right Lady! You clearly don’t get ADHD,” I think. Unfortunately I’m 56, close to 57, and am mentally disabled! Yes, I am actually applying for disability. I was fired from my last job—-after 7 weeks—-DIRECTLY due to my ADHD (although they didn’t know it). I don’t want to be so negative but for the life of me, I am perplexed that we don’t hear of MORE people applying for disability! I can’t figure out how all these ADHDers survive because I am not! So, my Dear, I don’t think it is your age! I certainly don’t know or even can offer a suggestion, but I’m pretty sure that it is getting worse the older I get! Get this. Some cocky, maybe 30 year old doctor once said “I would NEVER put a 50 year old on a stimulant. That’s just asking for a heart attack!” No, I didn’t go back. I wish you well! ~DiamondR.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This webinar with Dr. Dodson is really helpful for tweaking ADHD medication. There may be something in here that sparks a clue on next steps for you.

Free Webinar Replay: Medication Management: How to Use and Adjust Stimulants Safely

Also, citric acid (found in citrus fruit and juices, but also in soda) inhibits Adderall and should not be consumed within a few hours of taking meds. Could that be part of the problem?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.