Quitting Smoking with adhd

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Quitting Smoking with adhd

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  italladdsup 1 day, 9 hours ago.

• Author

rebell90
    Participant

Hi there!
    I’m a 27 year old female with very extreme adhd. Thanks to a therapist and psychiatrist both specialized in adhd, I’ve been able to finally be stabl…the 4 months I’ve been seeing them my life has had miraculous changes due to finding the correct medication and dosage, a ToN of coping skills, getting in a routine, exercise, etc. I’m actually sleeping 8 hours a night regularly, eating healthy and over all making better choices. My legs don’t have painful hyper ness in them so I can do my job that embraces my out of the box thinking !!! I ran cross country in high school, and ran marathons in the off season. Other tha. Medicine, running is the only other thing that’s super effective for my adhd. BUT I did pick up smoking whne 19. And I’m a big boredom smoker, like it’s more than self medication, I simply smoke to do something with my brain to stimulate it in some way. Trying on the right meds (adderral xr and Short adderral), my consumption of cigs is cut in half!!! But I’m also increasing my mileage in running, and I’m getting fast again (7:30 min/mike right now). I hate that I smoke right now, it makes me feel so yucky. I’m living such a healthy life style, it’s the one major thing left I need to change. I’d love to run another marathon, and actually train for speed! But I obviously have to quit: it’s hard with adhd. Been able to quit for a month in the past with patches, I hated the exit. Any body have any adhd specific tips? And what was it like the first few days you quit?

SierraW
    Participant

Congrats in all the progress you’ve made!

I have been tobacco free for over 3 years now. Quitting smoking is really hard but it is SO worth It! For me, I just had to make up my mind that I was never going to smoke another cigarette no matter what. Before I made this “firm” decision for myself I had attempted and failed to quit a dozen times. I even paid out of pocket for a very expensive cessation drug. I used nicotine patches and lozenges. There are many programs that will help you get these items at a discount or for free. I used more than I was supposed to at times. Especially during my shifts at work. I went from step one with lozenges to step 3 with no lozenges in about a month. I never allow myself a cigarette. Ever. This is how I’ve stayed without it.

I had a cough at 24 due to smoking. I am happy to report that within weeks I felt better and wasn’t coughing. I hardly ever get sick anymore!

I also added up how much I was spending on cigarettes and kept that number in my mind. Find some people who have quit and are encouraging. Smoking is so social it is important to find others to be around that don’t smoke!

Good luck. You can do It!!!

donsense
    Participant

One of the the things i masterred while quite young with raging ADHD was quitting smoking. In fact the 5 occasions it occurred made me somewhat of an expert. The first time I was around 13 and out of an after work job to pay for them, The second time at 16- 17 and in the army. A bet was made and in fact was won after two months against several other participants. This time i noticed certain withdrawl milestones that things were exceedingly better after i passed them. The third time i made it for two years after my daughter was born and started again when the second was born literally while in labor waiting room. This time I smoked for a few years quit.
    The second last time i quit for almost 10 years before i started up . I was giving talks on the new contributary pension plan to 30 employees at a time . Their union had negotiated it and they were upset that it meant another pay deduction. 550 employees later we finished and the actuary and I went out for a beer and as it turned out a cigarette. Finally 5 years later i gave up smoking and went back to golfing.
    What did i learn from all this.
    Well i learned to quit every weekend cause someDay it will work so every Sunday night i quit and it worked 4 times.
    I learned never to ever take another cigarette. Just one is deadly,
    I learned That because the first or second or third time doesnt wirk, keep doing it because you always learn something from the effort and I have now gone almost 40 years without smoking.

italladdsup
    Participant

Hi Rebel90
    Please read the whole thing. I know I would struggle.

I smoked for many years, up to 50 a day.
    I found it very very hard to stop smoking, I tried everything (well most things) including Nicotine Patches, Gum, vapeing, Champix and nothing worked, I still really wanted a cigarette.
    My Brother in-law quit after one session through hypnotherapy. I was so desperate and ready so I decided to spend the $500 and see the same Hypnotherapist. I did finally quit although had bad withdrawals. I was extremely emotional and would have bursts of anger and even broke down and cried a few times. After 2 days I started smoking again.
    A week later I went in for another session knowing that even if the hypnotherapy does not provide any relief I would just have to quit anyway.
    So off I went, an hours drive away and literally chaining the whole way. I met with the Hypnotherapist and she was disgusted with how badly I smelled of cigarettes. She gave me an ear full, told me to grow up and then gave me another session.
    This time I quit, I still had the bursts of anger and broke down in tears for no particular reason, ate 2 blocks of chocolate a night etc. But I finally quit. This time I decided I enough and nothing was going to stop me, even putting on 10kgs, but that was fine.
    one year later I had a wedding every week for 5 weeks, lots of alcohol and now smoking again.
    A year later at the beginning of this year I again decided I would quit, drinks, alchol, whatever Im quitting.
    This time around it was so easy, no withdrawals, none! and its due to a new medication my Phsyc prescribed to me for my ADHD style depression. Its called Zyban. It Is more commonly used in America as an anti depressant called Wellbutrin.
    You still need to WANT to quit.
    Zyban has been the best so far

Good luck (ps caffeine can actually give you jitters when your a non smoker)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.