Quillivant Shortage – Anyone else?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Quillivant Shortage – Anyone else?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Momm11 6 days, 8 hours ago.

• Author

sleslie
    Participant

Pfizer had a manufacturing issue and Quillivant hasn’t been manufactured/shipped in months. We are about to run out in lass than a week. I have called every Pharmacy in my area and no one has it stocked.

This medication allows my child the ability to focus, process, concentrate and LEARN, and its not available until further notice… with NO notice.

If anyone else is dealing with this issue, what are you doing? Are you switching to a new medication in the interim, are you reducing the dosage to make it last, taking them off altogether, etc? I am so freaked out, I dont know what else to do. And of course, my son’s Dr. isn’t calling me back!!!

Chicababy76
    Participant

Yes! I just dealt with this last week when trying to refill my son’s Quillichew ER prescription. I guess I didn’t realize it was such a massive shortage. I had called 6 pharmacies and luckily the last one I called had it in stock. Now I’m worried about our next refill, I pray they get this sorted out soon this has helped my son so much and I can’t imagine sending him to school with out it or having to switch to v something different.

sleslie
      Participant

I hope its sorted out for you before your next refill.

Chicababy76
    Participant

Have you thought about calling nearby pharmacies in neighboring towns/city’s? That’s what my next option if I hadn’t found it locally. Prayers to you, we’re in the same boat.

sleslie
      Participant

Yes, thank you, I have called almost a dozen Pharmacies. I also went on their website (quillivant.com) and they put in a search for me for a 60 mile radius. I will drive anywhere to get it, but everywhere around is out. 🙁

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I have seen a few families change medication. Quillivant is a methylphenidate, so I would stick to that type of stimulant. That would be Ritalin, Concerta, Daytrana, etc…

You can see user medication reviews here: https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/treatment-reviews/, but keep in mind that every experience with these medications is individual.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

sleslie
      Participant

Thank you. This has given me a lot of information to start researching on my own before I meed the Dr. next week. I appreciate it!

jupitergirl66
    Participant

Wow.. I just put a prescription in last week for this and my pharmacist just called and said nothing is in stock and no idea when it will be available. This is our first time putting him on ADHD medication and Quillivant came highly recommended. He has the inattentive type. It’s VERY hard to get him motivated on anything. He is 13. This makes school a nightmare for all of us. Now I don’t know what to do…

sleslie
      Participant

I know, no notice! Its so scary.
      Im looking into Ritalin, Concerta, Dayrana, Aptensio and Cotempla.

eggspert
    Participant

Shortage of alot here all over Oklahoma! Im on adderal IR but all i can find is mainly Aurobindo manufacturer or teva which i have beeb fortunate enough to google reviews before ever trying aurbindo thousands of recent reviews saying counterfeit or felt fake. Finally found one made by Sunpharm that worked its light yellow and round and twice within the past 9 months they have run out with backup orders.. So i better not get too attached..
    This isn’t good BC I suffered enough when corecorepharma discontinued the hot pink 30 mg..cant they just keep the stuff that works for people. Yes even major chains such as cvs Walgreens are out of stock of any at all or only had 51 left etc..not looking good.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  eggspert.

gemineye80
    Participant

I work in pharmacy and deal with shortages everyday. In fact, it’s my job. So here’s some inside news. I got a news letter yesterday that stated Pfizer has QuilliChews available again. I just checked my wholesaler and they are in stock. I would get on the phone with your pharmacy ASAP and make sure they get their orders placed so you can get some right away. Good luck.

-T

sleslie
      Participant

You were right, they can get it!!! Hallelujah!

katriona
      Participant

Walgreens in Oregon said they could see 4 bottles of 20mg tabs in their system. Previously they had nothing. Whether this means it arrives on Wednesday’s truck is another matter though 🙁 I really really appreciate the tip!

DS has been off meds since Friday. Couldn’t swallow the Concerta.

sleslie
    Participant

I just placed a call with them and they are looking into it for me. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!

jupitergirl66
    Participant

Can anybody tell me what the Quillivant chews taste like? My son is SUPER picky.

Thanks

sleslie
      Participant

I hear it’s like grape soda.

Momm11
    Participant

Is anyone else having trouble getting their Quillichew prescriptions filled? My son has been on Quillivant for few years and now I can’t find it anywhere. His doctor wrote a prescription for QuilliChew but I cannot find a pharmacy that has it. I’m not sure what medication is similar to this brand. He’s tried Concerta and had really bad headaches not to mention the loss of appetite. He also had a loss of appetite with Quillivant but it was manageable. I’ve called Tris Pharma who’s now taken over for Pfizer but I can’t seem to get an answer on when QuilliChew or Quillivant will be available.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.