Questions/Need help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 months ago.

• Author

Joe Schmoe
    Participant

Good Morning,

I have been struggling with ADD my whole life, I didnt really realize it until I got older and needed help for other mental illnesses/issues. I recently got out of the military with a slew of problems (some stemming before service), PTSD, MDD, GAD, OCD, ADD and more. I have a hard time starting new medications as I have severe panic attacks and am very reluctant to try new things in fear of having bad side effects. I have tried many medications in the past to battle the MDD/GAD portion with some success (currently on Celexa and Xanax as needed), at least to take the edge off and make it a little more manageable. I have taken Concerta in the past to some success but was taken off due to my anxiety and blood pressure. I tried Concerta again and with my anxiety I cannot take it as it makes me way too anxious.

I was just prescribed Abilify which doesnt seem to be a common ADD drug, I am very hesitant about taking it as the side effects for that drug frighten me but I also want to because my ADD is making it really hard for me to get through life.

My questions are:
    Has anyone taken Abilify, does it work for ADD, or does anyone know anything more about it?
    Also, is there a good drug out there that is not a stimulant and does not typically make a person with an anxiety disorder anxious, out side of just being worried because it is a new med.

Any and all information/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Here’s information on Abilify, along with a couple user reviews:

Abilify

There are some non-stimulants as well: Intuniv Straterra, Kapvay.

And some folks with ADHD and anxiety take an anti-depressant or anxiety medication with their ADHD stimulant to treat the anxiety.

Treatment for the Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.