Questions about therapy

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      rosiebc
      Participant

Hi everyone,

My 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADHD. The psychiatrist who diagnosed him strongly recommended what he called ADHD coaching or ADHD rehab, which would be provided by an occupational therapist,individually once a week, outside of school hours. The challenge I’m running into is that none of the providers he recommended, or indeed any of the other therapists I have contacted, have any openings for after school hours. They have daytime openings, but loooong waitlists for after school times. I just feel like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall–we live in Austin, TX where there are a multitude of providers! We have a lot of connections here & I have reached out to everyone I know, including family therapists, the sand play therapist who worked with my son before the diagnosis, and I keep coming into this same roadblock regarding scheduling. Is there an angle, idea, or resource I am missing? He was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and the doctor felt that it was imperative he start treatment immediately & we agree. I believe it would be counter productive to disrupt his school schedule, just when he’s getting used to it. I would appreciate any suggestions from more experienced parents! Thanks!
      Rosie

eliz2112
      Participant

Hi rosiebc,
      I too went through that struggle. Everyone I called had wait-lists of 2-3 months, and my son needed help right away. I ended up making him an appointment during school hours, just to get him “into the system.” In our case, it was more important to me that my son start therapy. His days at school were so chaotic anyway, I figured we would start making progress where we could. Best of luck in your search!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I agree that disrupting school might be an issue. Definitely get on the waiting lists at a couple different facilities now. If there’s one time a week when your son wouldn’t be missing much in school (a lot of the early elementary years have more free time in the schedule), then I’d try to schedule for that time. Once you take a child with ADHD out of school, it’s really hard to get them to go back and return to focusing on being there, so you might find that it just isn’t worth the disruption.

We have 1-2 occupational therapy offices that offer Saturday hours. Those may be full where you are too. Really, the best thing to do is get on several wait lists and take what you can when it comes available, unfortunately.

There are many OT activities you can do at home in the meantime. This article mentions a few:

How to Treat Sensory Processing Disorder

ADHD coaching is usually done with teens and adults, although you can find parent coaching for raising kids with ADHD (and parent training). I haven’t heard the phrase “ADHD rehab” before. Maybe ask this clinician specifically what types of therapy and professional services he or she is recommending.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

rmtenboer
      Participant

My 3 children go through the MHMR here and they have an amazing skills program. They do it during school, but usually during classes like PE or Art/music. It is a less disruptive problem. See if they can do something like that.

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

We ran into the same issue. When we were doing weekly counseling sessions, I set the sessions during elective periods at school. That way he didn’t miss important instruction periods but did get the counseling sessions. Late mornings had a time where the class had recess then computers then elective (Art or PE). I was lucky to find a therapist close to the school. And we scheduled his individual special education time right after the elective time. So if the session ran long he would return to school and go to the special education room. Special Ed teacher was able to still give him one-on-one attention while also giving him a little transition period to get back in the groove of the school day.

This was the least disruptive schedule we were able to find. And since his special ed teacher understood that therapy was highly important she was more than willing to help him get through his day. Even though it was somewhat disruptive and he probably did lose some important time at school, at that point, counseling was a top priority. His ability to learn was greatly improved by the therapies, and since he was going for anxiety issues – his overall well-being also was greatly improved.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.