Questions about Bupropion

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Questions about Bupropion

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 3 days, 21 hours ago.

• Author

I’m currently on 36mg on Concerta and I don’t see much of an effect at all. I initially saw improvement in concentration and motivation but this quickly subsided after two weeks of taking the medication. I feel like this was just a side effect and nothing more. I’m in the UK so I don’t have access to Adderall. I have tried dexamphetamine and it’s the same situation. I’m considering using Bupropion but I’m not sure if it’s strong enough. Any thoughts?

Bupropion isn’t a stimulant, like Concerta, dexamphetamine, and Adderall are. It’s a different type of medication. You can read some user reviews here:

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. You’ve tried both types so one should show more promise than the other, although it’s possible that you are in the 20% that don’t respond to stimulant medication. If that’s the case, Bupropion may work well for you.

You are not on the maximum dosage of Concerta, so it’s also possible that you just haven’t reached a high enough dose to work well for you yet.

Warning: Even Doctors Make Medication Mistakes

Ultimately, you should seek your doctor’s counsel on all of this.

ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.