Question about being a writer for books

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Question about being a writer for books

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chekk
      Participant

I know how to read books but when I read books it’s like I’m just watching letters go by and I make up my mind of what I’m reading very badly compared to what the regular book-reader does. But I’d be interested in writing books. How would I go from here?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I’d start by looking for an online course or tutorial on how to get started writing. There’s a definite process to it.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Alistair
      Participant

Hi Chekk,

I suggest you start by writing a journal. I’ve been writing a journal for close to thirty years, and have also led a number of seminars, webinars and workshops on journaling. The benefits of journaling are manifold, and well-documented. I’ts a great way to get into the habit of putting your thoughts down on paper. Just write with no regard to spelling, grammar, or punctuation. Don’t stop to correct any mistakes, just keep on writing. (You can review it afterwards, and edit it another time). I recommend good old pen and paper to begin with, and use a substantial notebook with lined pages, nothing too fancy. I don’t recommend using a word processor or journaling app, but hey! It might work for you. Just don’t let the computer or device or whatever you use tempt you with all its distracting other features (email, YouTube, etc.) Find a time and place without interruptions and distractions, and set yourself a limit, eg 30 minutes, to just write. You and a blank page and a little hope and the dream of making a difference.

Best wishes and God bless,

Alistair

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.