Psychiatrist wants 3 drug tests before prescribing adderall

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Psychiatrist wants 3 drug tests before prescribing adderall

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      fal255
      Participant

Hey everyone, I just wanted to reach out to see if this is normal because i can’t stop thinking about this.

I recently went to a new psychiatrist after not going for 8 months, because that’s when I graduated and my old psychiatrists only sees students and I couldn’t afford a new one. My old psychiatrist put me on adderall for 2 years and it literally changed my life for the better, I became more social, more productive, more focused and without it I don’t think I would’ve graduated. But after I graduated I couldn’t get a job because I’m not a citizen (I have a court case pending) and couldn’t afford a new psychiatrist or the medication I was taking, so I just stopped taking it. I managed to save up enough money to go to a new one and I had a letter from my old one that details the medication I took. I was also honest with her telling her that I smoked weed but was willing to quit if that’s what it takes to get the medication. So I quit smoking and after 3 weeks I go back with a clean pee test, and the psychiatrist tells me that she needs me to pass 3 total drug tests with a week or two in between each before she “becomes comfortable” prescribing me my medication. So I don’t have insurance, I’m an asylum seeker, I have to pay for each drug test, and I’m going to this psychiatrist to help me get my life back together but I can’t help but feel like she’s just being overly unreasonable. I get her wanting me to pass a drug test before prescribing me adderall, but 3? I literally been having panic attacks because I can hardly get out of bed and I’m very fatigued, and I thought I could finally get some help and she’s just prolonging my pain for no reason.

Please let me know if I’m overreacting or does she sound like she’s overdoing it? Because I also feel like she’s punishing me for being honest with her by telling her that I used to smoke, and she’s using that against me. I would appreciate any input. Thanks, and sorry if I’m all over the place but I’m just frustrated.

Oh I also forgot to mention, my old psychiatrist made me take the quotient test for ADD and it turned out that I had “significant ADD”. And I also suffer from fatigue all the time too which makes this way more frustrating.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by fal255. Reason: Wanted to add more details
      • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by fal255.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Many physicians are being very cautious about prescribing schedule II medications, like ADHD stimulants. You can try another clinician but may find the same thing. It does feel extreme, but it’s becoming quite common.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

quietlylost
        Participant

I would add to what Penny said and say that you may want to try to share your financial concerns with the doctor again to let them know how difficult it is for you. They may not agree to any changes, but at least they have some understanding of your situation. As well, if they do prescribe you medication in the future, maybe they will require more infrequent drug testing if they are aware of the financial burden.

Like Penny said, though, if you look for a new provider you may find the same situation. If this provider is willing to prescribe the medication after the clean drug tests, it may be worth sticking with them at this point. Perhaps you can apply for a reduced fee service at the office as well.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.