Prozac vs Clonidine (Kapvay)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Prozac vs Clonidine (Kapvay)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      bumpywx
      Participant

My nearly 5yo son has been on 4 separate medications to try to reign in his ADHD/ODD/anxiety symptoms to little effect.
      We’ve tried:
      Intuniv – sedating at first, then no change in symptoms,
      Vyvanse – killed his appetite (lost 4 pounds in the first month) with no change in behavior,
      Prozac – appetite came back; disposition was more positive but also more hyperactive,
      and now Kapvay – back to same symptoms of irritability and defiance, but no side effects.

I feel as though Prozac was the most effective of all of them in terms of behavior, but our psychiatric NP has written us off at this point, telling us we need a second opinion if we feel we aren’t getting the results we hoped for with regards to trying a 5th medication (and she seemed resistant to going back to Prozac). We didn’t really go up in terms of dosing on anything except the Prozac, which we started at 5mg, then went to 10mg. She didn’t want to go higher.

My question is this…has anyone dealt with this before, and eventually landed somewhere on a better medication or just gave up on medications that don’t really do anything?
      We’ve done genetic testing, and all of these are either in his ‘green’ or ‘yellow’ zone….just no “Aha!” moment with anything.

jlynn37
      Participant

Mu first question would be about the Prozac. Did they use that to treat anxiety or his ADHD? We also had good success with Prozac for my sons anxiety (in that it really targeted his anxiety well), but we had some bad side effects and had to stop. However, we are on different medication for his ADHD (we have yet to find one that really works well as he metabolizes them very quickly). Maybe he needs both the prozac and something that combats his anxiety? I would reach out for another opinion.

We have tried multiple medications over the past few years, some have worked for a while and then not worked and some have not worked at all. It is so tricky with medications and he is so young which makes it so hard because you can’t quite get his opinion on it (if that makes sense?). Good luck…I totally have been (and sometimes feel) exactly where you are now.

bumpywx
      Participant

Thanks Jlynn. Appreciate the kind words.

Over the last year, it became fairly evident that a lot of his behaviors were rooted in anxiety rather than ADHD. He has ADHD symptoms as well, but seems like anxiety is really what cripples his ability to access the skills he needs to stay calm. So, in short, yes….his Dx was updated to add anxiety. In fact, since we stopped taking the Prozac, I feel that more and more of those types of behaviors are returning. Worried about not being able to get the bus on time; worried about getting his long sleeve shirts on, worried about me cutting him when we clip nails, etc. Stuff he was pretty laid back about before.

We have an appointment set up for a second opinion, and hoping we might get a different perspective. My wife and I wondered also about combining meds to see if that might help. His genetic testing does also say that he metabolized prozac very quickly, but I don’t know if that means a higher dose is needed. His PNP had this information but was resistant to go above 10mg for some reason. All we could do was trust that she knew better.

We’ve also been trying some specific neurologically inspired chiropractic treatments, but I didn’t want to hijack my own thread and go off topic.

So sorry your son wasn’t able to get any use out of the Prozac. I hope that you’re on the right path to healing now.

jlynn37
      Participant

You are welcome and thank you as well! I find this board very supportive and helpful!

I think you are on the right track for sure and all your thoughts make sense to me. We used our pediatrician at first and she eventually encouraged us to find a child psychiatrist to treat my son. We found a good one and have been slowly working on finding what works.

We are also going a bit out of mainstream and just saw a naturopath doctor last week. We are in the middle of awaiting some test results to see if we can find some other ways to help out our son, since the medication has been so difficult to find the right balance. I am all about using both (traditional and non traditional) to help out!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Anytime you feel like a clinician isn’t listening and valuing your input, it’s time to find a new clinician.

I agree that the response to Prozac is quite telling — anxiety causes much more behavior that we realize. Calming the anxiety could make a world of difference in what you assumed was connected to ADHD.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.