Problems with Conversations

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Problems with Conversations

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      V929292
      Participant

Hi everybody!

I’m a suspected ADD with no official diagnosis yet.
      I think I have a serious problem with conversations, basically when I’m asked questions, even simple ones like “When do you usually wake up in the morning?”, I go into oversharing and the other person end up with a lot of unnecessary details. I got this one friend that whenever I do it, she makes me notice (makes faces as to say “get to the point please”, or sometimes when she asks me questions she adds a “briefly!”), and that makes the situation much worse because suddenly I don’t understand what the other person wants to know from me anymore, and I end up feeling insecure and ashamed. I do it with my other friend too, but she is very very talkative and she seems to not mind that much when I go into oversharing. I talked to my husband about it and he’s convinced that it’s a skill that anybody can learn, and that there are actually techniques (like imitating the body language or the tone of voice of the other person), to get into the same rhythm and being able to ask the right questions at the right time and figure out exactly what the other person needs to know. All this sounds scary to me. The basic problem is that my ability to stay in conversation is very limited, I usually get emotionally tired and end up zoning out or even falling asleep sometimes. Does anybody want to share their experience, and maybe little strategies you would recommend to improve this problem?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You can definitely create social rules for yourself to help with some of this. Or maybe work on it with a therapist.

Many people with ADHD feel exhausted by social interactions.

Tact: The Foundation of Effective Communication

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.