Problems in social relationhips (mind blanking)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Problems in social relationhips (mind blanking)

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by trh.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      bolling
      Participant

Hi Yall

I am a 33 yo guy, and got my ADD diagnosis last summer.
      As long as i can remember ive had problmes with soical relationships, It is as if my social brain falls asleep after some time “hanging out” and ive got nothing to say in a conversation, and cant come up with discussion topics. Im on vyvanse, but that dosent seem so help with these symptoms. I thought i might have som light-aspergers, but in all the online aspergertests ive done, i get a really low score, so guess im not.
      Anyone feel the same way?
      been thinking about trying a different medication to see if that helps.

Thabks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Do you have any anxiety? My social anxiety makes it hard for me to focus and put together comprehendible sentences when it’s really ramped up. THere’s ADHD fatigue too, which is very real. When I’m on the spot in a social scenario with people who are not close friends, all the blood rushes from my face and my mind goes completely blank.

What Anxiety Disorders Look Like in Adults

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. So it’s possible you might do better on a methylphenidate with this particular thing, or it could be entirely unrelated to your medication.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

trh
      Participant

What you describe sounds like social anxiety. You can have both. Zoloft helped me with that. And later, therapy helped.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.