Private diagnosis?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Soliver83
      Participant

Hi,

Has anyone had their child diagnosed for ADHD and ODD privately? I am seriously considering this route but am not sure of the positives and negatives. Our GP has referred my son via the Umbrella Pathway but this has only just been submitted and I have been told that it can take years for a diagnosis, and that’s only if they accept the referral in the first place. I figure private would be faster but I have also heard that GP’s will not medicate (if required) from a private assessment and that school will not support around a private diagnosis.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received. I am one very confused mum right now!

p2vulco
      Participant

Hi, I’m sure others more experienced will reply shortly but until then, it might be useful to know that i have recently gone private for the same reasons as yours son. I am yet to start treatment, however I have now had a private diagnoses and had the opportunity to discuss how it all works.

Imo the best option by far was to do the diagnoses and titration (getting the right meds) privately and then once on the correct dosages refer back to the nhs. There are a couple of hurdles will this mind – you will need to have 6 monthly or yearly checkups with the private clinic (The gp will not prescribe without this) and you will need to be mindful that the medication available privately may differ from what the nhs are willing to provide. So there will need to be lots of talks between your gp and private clinician.

I simply explained to my gp that I wasn’t prepared to wait and would happily fund privately; she happily referred me to a private clinic (many private clinics will still require a referral from gp).

Take note that although this is a fast track method it will cost you financially. You will be looking at around £450 for diagnoses plus another £200 or so for titration plus the medication costs which range from £30pm to £150pm – hence why you want to make sure you can get referred back on the nhs after diagnoses and titration.

As I say, I’m very new to all this myself but if you want any more info just let me know.

Good luck 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.