Positive side effect of dextroamphetamine – increased musicality

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Positive side effect of dextroamphetamine – increased musicality

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      amznwmn
      Participant

I have been on 30 mgs of Adderall or it’s generic equivalent three times a day for almost 20 years. As a teen and into my early 20’s I remember being completely without any sense of rhythm and unable to dance without making a complete fool out of myself. However, when I first started taking medication for my ADD, I noticed that I had an increased appreciation for whatever music I was listening to and attributed that new appreciation to the change in dopamine production in my brain. When I say I had an increased appreciation of music, I mean that I began to “feel“ the music, not just “hear” it. I conducted my own little experiment to see if it was indeed caused by the meds and paid attention to how I felt when I listened to the same type of music on and off the medication. I concluded that the medication was the cause of the increase in my “musicality”.

What I also discovered was that now I could dance up a storm, and it wasn’t just my imagination because people would actually come up to me and tell me what a good dancer I was! My avoidance of places that had dance floors became almost an obsession. Almost. (Besides being fantastic exercise!)

Has anyone else noticed this side effect of Adderall? If there’s anyone reading this that currently takes dextroamphetamine, would you mind trying to see if your musicality changes when you’re on your meds? I think it’s very interesting and would love to know if others feel this too.

Thanks in advance!

RagingADHD
      Participant

That’s really interesting! I was dx and started Adderall in my 40’s. I have always enjoyed dancing, music, and played piano as a child, but was not intensely musical. I have sung in choirs off and on as an adult.

I found that Adderall helped me in choir, because it was easier to keep up with my part in the sheet music and not skip lines or get muddled. So that made it more enjoyable and less stressful in that way. I haven’t noticed an increased appreciation for music, in fact it’s easier to tune out background music.

But I will give it a shot and see if the subjective experience is different. Of course, the problem with a subjective experience is that if you’re intentionally *looking* for it, that changes the experience automatically! I’ll give it a try and reply back.

(if I remember to reply back, LOL)

maxnordhaus
      Participant

I’ve noticed this, when I take my dextroamphetamine I often get significantly more into the music I’m listening to, it’s kind of a rush. It’s this physical feeling, especially when I have something high-energy playing and sit down to get some work done. It’s kind of one of the nicer side effects that I occasionally can look forwards to. If an artist I follow releases new music, I often wait to listen to it until I’m going to be doing something that requires me to take my meds, since I’m much more invested and can better appreciate it.

Skypark962
      Participant

My scan showed increased activity in the cerebellum already & I have noticed this! I love music anyway—but I believe it’s bc of the cerebellum!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.