Poor behaviour in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Poor behaviour in school

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 5 months ago.

• Author

Sanctity
    Participant

Hi
    My 13 year old ADD kid is disrupting children in his class, how do i stop him. He also takes the teachers on by not carrying his books to the class and then lies to them when they question him about certain issues when they know he is blatantly lying. I did ask him why he does this and he does not know.

glasaus
    Participant

I feel your pain. This could be my son (even the age) and I’m afraid I have no idea how to deal. We have the added problem of the fact that ours is utterly addicted to screens; it’s beyond addiction. Most of his homework has to be completed and submitted online but that is exactly where he gets lost in the gaming world. We’ve tried to put nanny filters on and time restrictions, but he just bypasses everything. We have to lock his phone in a safe at night but even then he finds the key (don’t know how).

In class, he gets set up by the other boys by things like throwing erasers at him so that he reacts. They poke at him so that he reacts. And then laugh.

Teachers have had enough and he even has permission to sit some lessons out as he’s difficult.

If there were an Olympic sport for lying or being lazy he’d do very well. He lies to get himself out of trouble and even though he knows he may get caught, to him it’s a risk he’ll take. And if he fancies something, he will just help himself.

Fortunately in other ways he’s adorable; he loves animals, is very affectionate and caring.

I look forward to hearing what others say because I’m fresh out of approaches.

Ps I love him dearly – it’s the ADHD I hate. Very much.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

The only way to change behavior (or improve it, not all behavior can be changed when someone has ADHD), is to determine WHY that behavior is happening, and address the WHY.

There’s a reason he’s being disruptive in class (and he’s likely not even choosing to disrupt). Is he overwhelmed? Is he bored? Is his ADHD untreated? Is there a learning disability making work more difficult? Is the environment too stimulating (sensory issues)? Is he being the class clown to hide the fact that he has a more difficult time with school than his peers? Could he have depression or anxiety? There are so many potential reasons. However, it won’t change until you determine the catalyst of the behavior and work on alleviating that.

Disruptive Behavior: Solutions for the Classroom and at Home

Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with an Explosive Child

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

DdylanCATO
    Participant

Is there proof of adhd because i don’t think that me being energetic and forgetful is a disorder and i don’t want to take powerful stimulants if i don’t have anything wrong with me and i only argue with teachers because they ask me allot of questions at once and blame bad behaviour on me skipping taking my meds (vyvanse) if it is real i dont mind taking them i just want proof

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.