Please help!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      brenk3731
      Participant

According to the child psychiatrist, my 12 yr. old son has ADHD and Anxiety. My husband and I have been struggling for years trying to get our son straightened out. Our son has been on and off of ADHD meds. We decided a over a month ago to try again. He has been on Atomoxetine 25 mg. No results. The doctor decided to increase it to 40 mg. We gave him his first one on Sunday and he had severe stomach pains, not eating and difficulty sleeping. He’s a skinny kid, weighs 80 lbs. Yesterday he took his second dose, and same symptoms and vomiting last night. Left a message for doc and decided to give him lower dose this morning. He is also taking generic Lexapro, close to 10 mg for a few months. In addition to medication and monitor by psychiatrist with meds, we have an in home therapist. She’s visits the home one night a week and school once a week. We had a mobile therapist in the past that was with us for 2 years. The biggest issue with our son is scool. He is not focused, misses assignments, forgetful and failing math. We work with school, etc. At home, he thinks he rules the house. He is very excitable even when things are going well. He is a good kid and not stupid, and very athletic. He is very impulsive and immature for his age. I don’t know what to do. None of the ADHD medicines work and making him sick. Has anyone tried over the counter remedies? Could it be his anxiety? Runs in the family. I have it. I just wonder if these doctors know what their doing sometimes. Please, any suggestions or professional advice would be helpful.

Oh yeah, pulse our son has allergies. Lactose and tree nuts along with peanuts.

Thank you.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

First, take a breath… you have a lot racing through your mind. Remember, improvement with ADHD is a process, and a long one at that.

Medication is only one tool for helping kids with ADHD — it helps improve symptoms when in your system. It’s not a “fix” or “cure.” It sounds like your son cannot tolerate the medication he’s currently on. I hope the doc calls you back ASAP, because he needs a change. Most individuals with ADHD do better on one type of stimulant or the other, but not both. With that, reason would indicate trying a methylphenidate next — but, of course, that’s up to his doctor.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Remember that ADHD is a developmental disorder. That means your son is as much as 30% behind his calendar age in skill development and maturity. It’s imperative to use that information to develop your expectations for him. You simply can’t expect 12-year-old behavior, that will only frustrate all involved and create a climate of failure, when you want to create a climate of successes.

My son also struggles tremendously at school. What I have come to learn and accept is that not everyone is good at school. AND THAT’S OK. Doing poorly in school doesn’t sentence a child to a life of struggle and failure. When school is super-hard, they are enormously stressed, which then reduces cognitive capability. It’s a vicious cycle. Make sure your son is in a school environment of understanding and compassion and that the expectations are appropriate, given his disability.

Why School Stress Is Toxic for Children

Sometimes, anxiety has to be under control before ADHD can be treated successfully. Talk with his doctor about that possibility.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

brenk3731
        Participant

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.