PLEASE HELP Trouble finding authorized generic of Concerta

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents PLEASE HELP Trouble finding authorized generic of Concerta

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Lewis 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

ddt1981
    Participant

I have made numerous calls to pharmacies with no luck. I am desperately looking for the authorized generic form of Concerta. Right now we are paying for the brand name and our insurance doesn’t cover it. I have asked Walgreens to type in the NDC number, and made numerous calls asking for either Patriot or the Actavis manufacturer and nobody has it. Our pediatrician confirmed that the authorized generic is proven to work as concerta with alot less side effects.
    We have Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, and Hannaford in our area.
    How is best to call and ask for it? By manufacturer, NDC number or????

quietlylost
    Participant

I found this: 3 companies who make generic Concerta

As to getting it covered by the insurance, have you spoken with anyone at the insurance Rx program to see if a certain generic is covered?

I’d also suggest going in to a pharmacy. Typically pharmacies will not disclose whether or not they have a stimulant over the phone, and rarely in person. If you go into the pharmacy physically and ask to speak to the pharmacist they may be more willing to help.

ddt1981
      Participant

what are the 3 companies? I know of 2. Patriot and Actavis. What is the 3rd?

quietlylost
      Participant

Actavis (formerly Watson), Kremers (Kudco), and Mallinckrodt

ddt1981
      Participant

Kremer and Mallinckrodt are not authorized generics

quietlylost
      Participant

The FDA lists them as authorized manufacturers. Unless you mean that the insurance does not authorize them.

FDA link

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Can the prescribing doctor submit a request for the insurance to cover it? When generic Concerta first hit the market and my son was taking it, none of the generics were the same so the doc wrote “brand medically necessary” on our script and submitted a form to our insurance, and they covered it for us. It was a larger co-pay, but it was manageable, unlike the out of pocket cost.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ddt1981
      Participant

Thank you Penny I’ll try that also!

suesfortoday
    Participant

Ingles Pharmacy filled mine.

KillerMidget
    Participant

I use Neucon. I’m in South Africa, but I’m sure you can get it wherever you are? Maybe?

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

Apparently, there are two authorized generics for Concerta. They are Patriot Pharmaceuticals and Camber Pharmaceuticals (100 pills per bottle for Camber). Mine is from Patriot. Concerta and its generic should have the letters azla and the dose of the pill (18 mg, 27 mg, 36 mg, etc). If not, you do not have either Concerta or its generic. I posted a link to an article I found on Wednesday, and my comment is still awaiting moderation.

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

The authorized generic comes from Patriot Pharmaceuticals. Here’s a link to an article I found yesterday:

Authorized Generic Concerta Update: 6/1/19

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

Here’s the article from Dr. Dodson on ADHD medications:

Comparing the Most Popular ADHD Medications

It clearly states Patriot Pharmaceuticals is the only authorized generic of Concerta.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.