PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child PLEASE HELP! On the fence about meds…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  phillycodehound 3 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

jmhunter1014
    Participant

To parents of children under 10 with ADHD Combined Type (with a behavioral component), specifically those whose issues include impulse control and emotional regulation, we have questions for you.

Background: Our 7 year old son was diagnosed at the end of June 2018 with exactly the above. It’s been an issue since he was 3, and gets progressively worse as he ages; particularly the impulsivity, lack of emotional control, and the defiance. We were offered a prescription for Concerta, but while I’m leaning more toward filling it, my husband still has serious doubts. So to those of you willing to answer these questions, thank you in advance for your honest input. With that said, a questionnaire:

1. How old was your child when diagnosed?
    2. Did you decide to medicate right away, or did you wait?
    3. If you waited, what was your final reasoning for opting to medicate vs going with other methods of treatment that don’t involve meds?
    4. Does your child also participate in therapy? If so, did they ever have therapy sessions before medication and did they seem to help at all before you added meds?
    5. Which med does your child take, and at what dosage?
    6. Do you notice a negative difference in your child with meds vs without?
    7. Are you glad you decided to introduce medication as a treatment option? Do you have any regrets?

Any information you care to provide in addition to the answers to these questions would be most helpful. Again, thank you in advance for your time, and for your help! We just want what’s best for our son.

Cheers.

phillycodehound
    Participant

Hi my 5 yo son is on Methamphetdate (can’t spell that for the life of me sorry. The generic Ritalin long acting). He was diagnosed at 4 yoa. We also have him on Tenex (not sure the dose as of right now). It works for impulse control at school. Just starting a second dose for home.

I was diagnosed almost 35 years ago when I was 5 with ADHD and an LD. I wouldn’t be where I am today without meds. I’ve been on Ritalin, Adderall and no Vyvanse. Meds are a good place to start, but also getting help from a mental health DR (psychiatrist and psychologist) is key as well.

I hope my info that I provided helped. Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.